Flickering lights

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an intermittent problem with lights in various rooms in our house flickering when on, although it only happens in 3 of the rooms.

The whole house has been rewired and I checked all of the connections in the fittings and switches, which are all tight and show no sign of issues.

I have noticed that some of the light switches make a short crackling noise when turned on which may be related.

Everything is new so I can only assume I have a few dodgy switches, would these also be the cause of my flickering problems or is this likely to be something else?

Sponsored Links
May have got some brick dust in the switches if you can hear crackling. May also be poor quality switches. Ask your sparky to replace them. if they are full of dust he may charge you for his time and parts as it wasn't his fault.

May have got some brick dust in the switches if you can hear crackling. May also be poor quality switches. Ask your sparky to replace them. if they are full of dust he may charge you for his time and parts as it wasn't his fault.

This is what I am worried about - we have had a lot of building works done and the crackling didn't manifest itself for a good few weeks after he finished so I suspect dust.

Saying that I replaced a switch in the kitchen with one that matched the wall colour and just took the old switch apart. There is no dust inside and the switch contacts show burn marks. Theres no manufacturer info on the back (although stamped with various quality marks e.g. BS EN 60669-1) so I think these are cheap.

I might just replace them all myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back