Floating shelves - sagging?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have put up some Dwell floating shelves on an end wall so they are fixed firmly

However the bottom one is sagging slightly away from the wall, once books have been added!

I am thinking of taking the shelf off and adding more screws to the wall bracket that the shelf slides onto to prevent this..

Any ideas?

I suppose I wanted to avoid putting a 3rd party bracket underneath to keep the shelf up at a right angle!

Any good tips that I haven't thought of for this??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have put up some Dwell floating shelves on an end wall so they are fixed firmly
Well, clearly they are not.
once books have been added!
Thats a mistake for starters, they sag with a bag of sugar on them. How many books are on the shelf?
I am thinking of taking the shelf off and adding more screws to the wall bracket that the shelf slides onto to prevent this..
You could try longer fixings or finding out why your original fixing has failed.
I suppose I wanted to avoid putting a 3rd party bracket underneath to keep the shelf up at a right angle!
Probably will have to if you want to keep anything more than a bag of sugar on them.
Any good tips that I haven't thought of for this??
Buy some normal shelf brackets and shelves and give yourself a slap accross the face for not realising you bought into a duff idea or used the wrong fixings.

Other than what you've said I don't think there's anything else you can do.

Check that there is no wobble in the shelf once you've refastened it tightly with as large screws and raw plugs as it will allow, if there is movement you could try to put something in the holes in the back of the shelf to make it a tight fit, I did a similar thing at my sisters using cocktail sticks.

Unfortunately there not made to carry alot of weight.

Good luck with sorting it.

Gobz

Thanks for the telling off freddymercurystwin!

I have 2 shelves above this the same, and they seem fine with books too (shock horror!) so just asking to see if i need more fixings or indeed a small hidden bracket just to keep this one square

Sponsored Links
are you sure the fixings into the wall are secure?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back