Floor boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I took the carpet up in my room and found that all the floor boards have a 10mm gap between them. There T&G, but the tongue and groove doesn't seem to be being used.

I get the feeling that saving that little bit of money in floor boards has made the floor weaker. Is it worth re-laying them without a gap?

Sam.

Sponsored Links
Talk about skimping on materials. It will certainly weaken the floor but not by any real amount but it will affect the flex and stiffness. It just sounds liike a pretty weird situation! By all means lift them and relay to do a proper job but it depends on what your putting back down.

you could just overbaord with thin ply if your lazy.

You have no idea.... This house was put together by trained (or possibly untrained) monkeys.

I swear, I could have honeslty put the stud walls together better when I was 5. The bricks have no morter between them horizontally. Theres far too few wall ties. Bare wires outside of fixing boxes. So far I've had to re-plaster EVERY lintel in the house. It was made cheep and nasty. So now I'm fixing it.

And I'm putting a carpet down.

To avoid having to rip the stud walls down. is it ok to just cut the boards over a joist and leave maybe a half foot of the orignals at each edge of the room (proving they are the same height)?

Sponsored Links
yea of course. Do whatever if your carpeting. Just be on the safe side and add a few extra noggins between joists and screw them back down to avoid squeaking!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back