Floor creaks after laying aquapanel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well having searched around for the best preparation for tiling a bathroom floor over electric UFH I did the following:
  • - screwed down the existing chipboard floor to the joists
    - bedded the heavy resin shower tray on mortar
    - glued & screwed aquapanel round the tray to the rest of the floor (using BAL single part flex & aquapanel screws)
    - taped the joints
    - filled the gaps round the edges and covered the tape with more BAL spf
Great, I thought, all ready for the UFH and tiles :D ……..but now it's started creaking in a couple of areas near the tray where it didn't used to creak before :cry:

What's gone wrong? And what's my best course of action to fix it before laying the UFH & tiles?

Sponsored Links
Yes - is that a problem?

The manufacturers instructions (if I remember correctly!) said to ensure the floor was securely fixed, seal it and then lay the tray on a minimum of 6mm weak mortar - so I screwed it down, sealed it with the dreaded PVA and then layed the tray on mortar.

Sponsored Links
The last thing you apply to chipboard is anything with moisture in it. It swells just like weetabix. The pva won't waterproof it - it'll just slow the passage of water through to the chipboard.
You're probably looking at a swelled chipboard floor that's loosened around the screws (because it's got wet) and now it's dried out, is rubbing when you apply weight to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back