Floor Filth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am preparing a bare wood floor that has not been cleaned for at least 50 years. I have got layers of paint, varnish and what looks like tar off with heat gun, paint stripper, sander, bleach mix and vinegar mix but in parts there is still a stubborn coating that just refuses to move Even the sander barely affects it Its like a coating of egg shell or plaque glued to the grain in the wood.

All the professional advice is for dealing with normal dirt not 50-100 years of ingrained filth. Two buckets of clean water , one with washing up liquid and bleach and other to wipe down are black and need changing after scrubbing a single board three or four times and they are still not clean.

I can cope with the scrubbing and sanding every day for another week but what of the stubborn dirt that just will not move ?

Attachments

• WP_20190328_002.jpg
    WP_20190328_002.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 142
  • WP_20190328_001.jpg
    WP_20190328_001.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 148
Sponsored Links
A floor sander
You can do it yourself but paying a guy with decent equipment and dust control measures makes it far easier

I have used that and done that but I dont want to take the top layer of wood off with the dirt. I want to keep the patina so I am only using a hand sander to just smooth it and relying on wire wood and scrubbing to get the dirt out but this stuborn bit has me beat

Sponsored Links
changing and trying different chemicals will help.

I was removing bitumen from old parquet and discovered that white spirit worked as a solvent. I ran out and picked up what I thought was Wickes white spirit but was white spirit "substitute" and it didn't work. So I had to go again to get the right stuff.
What I mean is that you may have to try various solvents on whatever you are removing to find the one that removes it.

I want to save my sort of filth Foxhole, not just any old filth. I just found an old work top from a garage this morning which is covered in my sort of working class filth I will try white spirit on the floor this afternoon then go out for the day Tigercubrider Thanks

I am sanding them. It is just those stubborn ugly stains I cannot get rid of with sanding (It just skims over them) white spirit, paint stripper, bleach, wire wool and heat gun........I am running out of options

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back