Floor levelling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people long time reader first time writer. Im in the process of renovating the mother in laws house ( :confused: ) its a 1930s terrace with the traditional concrete kitchen floor that's 100mm lower then the living room, (Im looking at adding a sub floor to match the living room floor). The kitchen floor is out by up to 50mm at the edges, its covered with floor tiles feel like they've been welded on to the concrete and come up in tiny bits. Im looking at using floor leveling compound my question is:

a) would it be ok on top of the tiles (they really are stuck well)
b) with it not having a dpc am i best stopping the leveling compound a little short of the walls?

Thanks in advance
John

Sponsored Links
Have you checked wether there is a DPM in place and/or the moisture content of the subfloor?

This will determine the type of levelling compound you use and also wether you need to use additional products like a liquid DPM.

What floorcovering are you planning to fit over the top?

Hi there, there is no DPM currently in place just an inch or so of concrete on what looks like a cinder base. I havent had the moisture checked as yet and well worth doing thanks for that.

The idea is to level the floor with concrete then put a layer of vapor barrier down and put a timber frame with boards on top to match the level of the living room.

Regards
John

.....also, is it worth adding some mesh to hold things together?

Sponsored Links
If you are going to put a frame down then why are you bothering to level the floor.

The difference in the current concrete floor is up to 50mm difference, just figured it'd make getting the frame nice and level easier then masses of different sized shims - or is there another way?

Well I would put down some visquine build the frame and then support the frame work with bits of slate or flags then some celotex insulation then the flooring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back