Floorboards for loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody and a Happy New Year to everyone.

I'm starting a new project to floor the loft space of the house. We've done a good loft conversion but there is an area with a floor space of around 4m x 3.6m which can't be usefully converted into a room, but will make an ideal hobby space or den for my two boys.

Rather than flooring it in chipboard, I've decided to spend a bit extra and floor it in nice timber interlocking 18mm floorboards. Joists are 15" spaced the whole length.

I can cover the full length with a 2.4m board followed by a 1.8m board and I have around 100mm of float at one end as the end of the board will be out of site under a joining timber.

I know you should always join boards above a joist, which is obivious. But I could get away without any cutting at all if I cut a 15" piece of 22mm timber (I have quite a bit space lying around) and screwed it to the underside of the 1.8 and 2.4 which would then sit in the space between the joists. By alternating the 1.8/2.4 order I could get a nice interlocked floor with no cuts.

Simple question: is that a decent solution or should I just park it and cut each board to sit on the joists?

Thanks for your thoughts!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back