Flooring question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Merry Christmas!

I just put down most of my ground floor in quickstep signature laminate.

it was as flat as a pancake, except where 2 rooms join (I didn’t put in a threshold gap). There is a very slight (3-4mm) difference in level.

I put screed and underlay underneath but not sure I built it up enough in one place. Now when I walk on it, it creaks slightly.

I’m not too bothered about the creak I’m just worried this eventually lead to planks coming apart. The lock system is pretty robust.

Is it best to pull up a lot of the floor up and sort out the creak, or am I being OTT.

the 3-4mm “step” runs at 90 degrees to the floor so it’s not underneath any joins of the laminate.

advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
Should be ok. But you could cut a inch gap in the doorway and fit a Incizo bar in

Should be ok. But you could cut a inch gap in the doorway and fit a Incizo bar in

hi Dazlight, I have decided to bite the bullet and take up the floor to level out the drop as the squeaking is intense! (My wife’s orders!)

one thing I just wanna check:

some people say laminate planks never go back quite as good once they’ve been taken up.

this quickstep signature seems very robust, I cant see how it won’t go back down just fine provided I don’t damage it.

thoughts? The quickstep seems pretty bullet proof to be honest

also, would you use levelling compound/screed or could I create a tapered board using thin ply and a sander to taper it a bit?

I prefer not to use screed as I want to get it up and down quickly, if you have any tips on this, appreciated

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back