Fluctuating hot water temperature

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Ravenheat RSF 820/20 boiler and have recently been experiencing problems with fluctuating hot water temperature. It is impossible to have a consistently hot shower as the water keeps going luke warm every 10 seconds or so. It is also impossible to get enough hot water to run a bath.

The engineer who serviced my boiler earlier this year said that my primary circuit is sludged and my secondary circuit is probably scaled which is almost certainly what is causing the problem. However he advised me that, given the age of the boiler, my best option was to put up with it for as long as possible and then buy a new boiler. I really can't put up with it for much longer but given that I want to sell the house some time in the next 2 years and that the boiler has otherwise been pretty reliable, I don't really want to incur the huge expense of buying and installing a new boiler.

Do you think power flushing the system and de-scaling the secondary heat exchange would solve the hot water problems? I have also been told that replacing the diverter valve may help. Does anyone have any thoughts / experience on this?

All advice greatfully received :)

Larry

Sponsored Links
Yes and yes, but dont forget that the 820/20 has a stepped modulation
ie High /Low so will never be totally even on temperature output.

If you are going to be there upto 2 years get a new one now and enjoy it for a while with some cheaper bills to boot :)

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I just don't have the budget to fork out for a brand new boiler right now so will have to make do with power flusing and de-scaling. I just wanted to get a 2nd opinion though as I have heard lots of conflicting views on power flushing and whether or not it's a waste of money.

Gosh you really are clever.

But I would have just told them to do that without visiting or charging anyone!

Sponsored Links
I have a perfectly good pair of Bermuda shorts thank you very much. I think if I were to wear Speedo's the average lady of the house would be swooning at the sight of my entrapped manhood.

Besides. I know how to fix a basic problem like this. Did so last week in fact in a smidge over an hour including the landlord's safety check ;). It was a Wooshitter Botch too.

The Bermuda shorts also probably better cover recent works!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back