Flue bracket question - new regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've signed up for British Gas HomeCare and their engineer recently performed the initial service. He stated that due to new regulations, my flue (in the loft) required two brackets, but only had one.

Anyone know what regs he was referring to?

Is this just speculative nonsense so that BG can quote to have another bracket fitted? I suspect the engineer will be incentivised in some way to sell additional services.

Any feedback appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If that is your opinion of BG, then why would you sign up with them ?

Anyway, It depends on the length of the flue

HomeCare is just an insurance police really (against boiler going bang and getting expensive). BG quoted 2.5 hours and £235 to fit said single bracket -

Only materials quoted are the flue bracket. Nothing else.

if they'd quoted for 1hour I probably would not have questioned it, but 2.5 hours is excessive to fit a bracket and if the engineer is in and out in 30mins I doubt I'd be able to challenge the 2.5 hours short of videoing the engineer on site!

The flue is under 2m long. It has push fit joints. It is only about 3years old, installed by a registered installer.

Sponsored Links
If the extra bracket goes at the opposite end of the flue to the existing bracket, no

If it goes mid-length, a 45cm strut would be needed from an adjacent piece of existing roof structure. Would take about 30mins to measure, cut by hand, screw to existing and mount bracket.

Quote makes no mention of additional structure. Only states "flue requires supporting to conform with regs, flue support required to do job"

Get another RGI to do the bracket(s) seems steep to me.

Or buy a bracket or two and DIY it for a £enner or better still tell them No, and see whether they cancel the policy and do you a favour.

Is there a change of direction in the flue or does it go straight up?

Flue emerges at 45degrees from under water tank then goes straight up & out through roof.

Just found out from another thread that the BG engineer missed that I have a magnetic system filter fitted. It's marked as "not fitted" on the service sheet.

Alternate quote from a less extortionate RGI seems the practical way forwards.

Thanks all

I would also check with BG whether they include a proper service or their safety check in the contract.

Your flue as per current advice should have a bracket on every flue extension. If the flue doesn't and it is rigid then it's classed as not to current standards and he should as best practice be advising you of this. It is up to you wether you get the bracket fitted, if you don't any rgi will just give you ncs notice when visiting the boiler.
As you've already said if you think his quote is too much go elsewhere.
Edited to ask, what boiler do you have?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back