fluorescent lighting spur from ring main socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents house was totally re-wired around 8 years ago. Very good job too. However I want to add a double socket for small power tools.
The light switch is a fused junction box, on a 2.5mm (3m) spur from the one (ring main) socket.
So this spur from the socket only supplies 300W of fluorescent lighting.
This would draw approx. 1A (though i'm not sure on startup demand of flouro' lights)
Can I extend this spur with another 3metres 2.5mm (27A) twin and earth to a new socket?
or would this be a spur from a spur?

Sponsored Links
I would like to ask why, if the house was rewired, is the lighting circuit run from a spur on the Ring circuit.
Lighting and Ring circuits should always be separate circuits.

In any case, to add an additional socket it would be best to either extend the existing ring or take a spur off the ring, and not off the current spur.
Many people will argue this but as far as I am concerned you should only take one spur off one existing socket.

Some more details would be helpful and pictures are always welcome.

Thanks for that ppuch1.........to be honest when i discovered that the lighting was on a socket spur i was very surprised. I am also surprised that 2.5mm twin and earth and a junction box was used to supply just the lights. Unless (i am thinking) it was done to enable possible future extension.
There must be some clear rules about this surely? It's always best to connect to ringmain for sure but not always practial.
the other way to look at it, could you add lights from half way along a socket spur by inserting a switched, fused junction box?
Ta.....I'll work on pics tomorrow.

Since you have a fused spur you can run as many sockets as you like after it. A point to consider is that hopefully the FCU will contain a 3A fuse and this will be the limit for all sockets connected after it. Fitting a 13A fuse and then running another FCU rated at 3A after it for the lights it is another option.

For a recently rewired house I can not understand why the lights are fed from the ring circuit - is this the case throughout the house?

Davy

Sponsored Links
I would investigate the option of having all the lighting and ring circuits wired separately on their own MCB.
As for Davy_Owens reply. You can do as suggested but I think it starts to make things a little messy and only complicates things for the Sparks who may have to investigate any faults in the future.

Thanks davy,
that's very clear and makes a lot of sense.
This is not the case throughout the house, just the garage. One possible reason for the fused, switched junction box for the garage light switch might (i'm guessing) be due to the fact that the roof was so leaky, the fuse protecting the main in case of shorting. The roof is now now totally reglazed and dry.

just read you reply ppuch1 and i know what you mean.
I was wondering, do electricians have to keep wiring diagrams for houses they've done? and can owners/occupiers get copies?

perhaps who ever did it only had 2.5 cable. and the other answer is no

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back