Flush?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just took off a radiator and drained it and it was full of brown, really brown thick sludge.

the house is cold and I always felt the rads don’t work well.

I see you can get a “power flush” done. Willing to try this.

i have one of the new baxi back boiler - the newer ones from about 10 years ago, and a tank in the airing cupboard

I wonder if just draining each rad will go a long way to doing this, or do you need a power flush to really get it all out?

It seems to be about £400 for my 3 bed terrace.

I’m not sure these new baxi ones have a long life expectancy and a new combo is £2k so paying £450 just for a flush ..... not sure what’s best and whether it’s worth it.

cheers

Sponsored Links
1. There is no correlation between the cost of the boiler and any need for a power flush. If you need a power flush you will have to spend the money, no matter what boiler you have and what it costs to replace.
2. You could try alternatives to a power flush. You could:
2a. Run the system with something like Sentinel X800 in it for a couple of weeks, then drain the whole system, refill, drain again, refill, drain again then refill and add inhibitor.
2b. Drain the system, then take off each radiator in turn and flush it through right way up, upside down left to right and right to left, all while giving it a good banging with a non-marking implement.
2c. 2a and 2b.
3. The advantage of a power flush is that it cleans the pipes as well as the radiators. I personally prefer not to power flush modern boilers for fear of washing sludge into them. Also, a decent power flush should leave you with a report showing pH values and Total Dissolved Solids within certain limits.
4. If you opt for any of the above, if it involves draining, making sure that if there is a Feed & Expansion tank in the loft, it is bailed out and cleaned before the draining.

1. There is no correlation between the cost of the boiler and any need for a power flush. If you need a power flush you will have to spend the money, no matter what boiler you have and what it costs to replace.
2. You could try alternatives to a power flush. You could:
2a. Run the system with something like Sentinel X800 in it for a couple of weeks, then drain the whole system, refill, drain again, refill, drain again then refill and add inhibitor.
2b. Drain the system, then take off each radiator in turn and flush it through right way up, upside down left to right and right to left, all while giving it a good banging with a non-marking implement.
2c. 2a and 2b.
3. The advantage of a power flush is that it cleans the pipes as well as the radiators. I personally prefer not to power flush modern boilers for fear of washing sludge into them. Also, a decent power flush should leave you with a report showing pH values and Total Dissolved Solids within certain limits.
4. If you opt for any of the above, if it involves draining, making sure that if there is a Feed & Expansion tank in the loft, it is bailed out and cleaned before the draining.

Is my 2008 baxi back boiler a new boiler?

I don’t know how to drain a system or what as sentinel x800 is!

Sponsored Links
My system was powerflushed when I had it converted to a sealed system and unvented hot water. Two years later before I was having a new boiler fitted, I removed the rads and took them outside and flushed them through several times with a hose, shaking the rad half full with water in between flushes until the water was crystal clear. I then ran some X400 through it for a few days before draining and flushing the system the day before the boiler was fitted. I had a magnetic filter fitted and inhibitor added. The water has remained crystal clear and the PH is within limits specified by the boiler manufacturer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back