Flushing the heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help. We have just tried to put our heating system on a contract with BG. The guy came along and predictably offfered a system fpowerflush for £800. We have an issue with the system short cycling. I reckon it might need a clean so I thought I would clean it with fernox. We don’t have any traditional drain vales - but we have these ... what are they. Is the chrome cap a dust cap - or will water pour out if removed. Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Lol - ok thanks - why? Im guessing its just a corroded drain that will never go back propperly. Should i drain by removing a small rad downstairs. Or maybe just call soemone wheondoesnt charge £800!!

Don't forget if BG do it it's all insured and to be fair they don't do a bad job but there are some good lads out there who offer the same service for less the only prob is finding them as there are also the cowboys who are nightmares,try and find someone who's had it done and find out who they had it's a bit of a minefield I'm afraid.Bob

Sponsored Links
Just jumping on this thread instead of starting another one. We had our system converted to a sealed one and unvented hot water cylinder in Feb last year. The system was given a powerflush at the same time. We're having the old boiler replaced this summer. Will we need another powerflush?

So should I try a chemicl clean - fermox. The problem isnt the rads its the hot water circulation

If rads on microbore are working, the problem is unlikely to be solved by Fernox.
What is the problem ?

The problem is that when the heating system calls for water heating only - the boiler short cycles. up for 8 seconds then off. We have a BG contract - called them - and they gave the go-to answer - you need an £800 power flush. Magnets also stick to a some of pipes (short horizontal pipes that link large hot water verticals) in the airing cupboard. We have hot water expanding upwards into the tank in the loft to the point where it overflows and drips rapidly from the back of the house. 3 Way actuator has been replaced - and seems to work fine. In the last few days we have also had the boiler shutting down before reaching the requested circulation temp when HEAT and WATER is requested - and the rads running cool, but generally on HEATING ONLY all works fine. Hence the thought it might be circulation of some kind...

Best solution is to get affected pipework cut out and checked / replaced.
Power flushing never removes all of the crap.
Photo would be good.

Nice one Terry I said that you couldn't flush micro bore and had 4-5 people slagging me off saying I was talking out my axxxse but I'll stand by what I said you can't flush micro bore because the cross sectional area isn't big enough to support a sizeable flow.Bob

Here we go. Magnets stick to the top and bottom of the horizontal join between these pipes
A93E8061-0162-4661-AC8F-4A47A4870D9A.jpeg

This is the rest of the (mess?)
E79CB2A4-27DD-4681-BE49-B03320BB0FD5.jpeg
48275FE7-D20B-4AF2-8741-2509719C4F23.jpeg
C1F405EA-426A-4174-AD2B-7DC6D6C8F391.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back