Foggy glazed unit replacement

Okay so you need a unit made good again.
Go to a glass supplier get them to take it out and temporary glaze it, then the time to strip it apart and then use the existing glass that may be scratched after 20 years or so badly failed that you cannot get the staining out. Then another visit to reglaze. Now compare to measure the unit, get a new one made and refit.
I think you will find option 2 cheaper and quicker. We strip units apart that need replacing but only if it has a lead feature or bevel cluster on it.

Sponsored Links
Looking at all options and all comments thanks to you all - weighing it up and considering the glazed unit is 20 years old my option would be to get a new glazed unit as they are not that expensive and it seems like a lot of work for the other option and probably not any cheaper.My only concern which should have been a measurement issue - it should have been 22m or 24mm but as usual in life nothing straight forward, i had a 23mm unit sods law.

The only way you would have a 23mm unit is if one leaf is 5mm or possibly laminated. 24mm would be
More common so go 24mm I think the gasket would soak up 1mm if it was wrong.

As already said repairs are a con, Wont last.

New units are cheap as chips anyway £15-100 cost price depending on size & spec.
Most likely a 24mm unit, Hard to get a precise measurement without calipers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back