Footings for stone gate posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to build some gate posts at the end of my drive, out of standstone. They will be about 4 feet tall and at least 18 inches wide.

Can anyone advise, please, how wide and deep my concrete footings should be?

Thanks
Richard

Sponsored Links
To some extent it will depend on how long and how heavy the gates are to be. More information required; but the longer and heavier the gates, the deeper/wider the footings need to be.

To some extent it will depend on how long and how heavy the gates are to be. More information required; but the longer and heavier the gates, the deeper/wider the footings need to be.

A fair question. Each gate will be about 4 feet tall, and 6 feet long. They are 5 bar field gates.

However, I was planning on fixing the gates to timber posts (8" x 8" or is that overkill?) set inside or behind the stone posts, in which case the footings will only carry the weight of the posts.

Cheers
Richard

You should put a concrete base in about 1msq x 0.3m deep and stand a girder or heavy box section in the middle and build the stone around that.

From the girder/box section you weld the gate hangers on. Won't be going anywhere after that.
You can have the gates hung before any stone building with this method.
The iron work should be painted black. Always looks well with stone.

You don't build stone pillars then stand wooden posts to carry the gate.
Will look silly!

My local merchants stocks ready made stone pillars.

Sponsored Links
You should put a concrete base in about 1msq x 0.3m deep and stand a girder or heavy box section in the middle and build the stone around that.

From the girder/box section you weld the gate hangers on. Won't be going anywhere after that.
You can have the gates hung before any stone building with this method.
The iron work should be painted black. Always looks well with stone.

You don't build stone pillars then stand wooden posts to carry the gate.
Will look silly!

My local merchants stocks ready made stone pillars.

Thanks for the advice. As it happens I already have the stone.

Cheers
Richard

Update: plan has changed slightly after consultation with SWMBO. Gates will now not be hung on these pillars, so they are in effect just ornamental pillars, and the footing only needs to support the pillars themselves. Is a metre wide, 300 deep footing still appropriate?

Thanks
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back