Ford Galaxy!02 plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I can't get on the FG forum so I'll ask you chaps I'm sure some of you are memebers ther can't remember who tho :rolleyes: .

The stupid auxiliary heater is smoking again after changing the glow plugs on it twice in the last 3 years, My question is why even when the heater did work does this damn machine take forever to warm up to temp. and can i disconnect the axiliary heater from the plug at the underside of the car to stop it working altogether,,,,,,And will this make the car take even longer ( maybe never) to get upto temp.

Please help , at wits end with this crap... :D

This is an 02 plate 1.9 TDi Auto.

Sponsored Links
hi new gas,yep that forum is down yet again,
join us here
www.fordmpv.com

if as you say you have yet again changed the plug,then maybe it could be the metering pump at fault?
does your run on pump work?you should when you turn off the engine hear a buzzing noise this is the pump that circulates the coolant to prevent hot spots,if not working then the booster heater has the tendancy to spool up for a short period of time then shut down.
also remember if the heater attempts to start 5 times it will lock out,if so then the code/s need clearing vagcom will do this.
when i changed mine it was up to temp within about 5-10 mins.

remember its a big car to get heat into,and the vw lump is rather too efficient to produce waste heat for the cabin.
hth and look forward to seeing you on our new forum.

Hey gregers I thought you'd left us?? :D

I have disconnected the thing at the moment and it seems ok, it's not running or wasting fuel.

The only concern I have is the connector was left as it was disconnected and not covered , I hope it won't be damaged with water etc. but maybe I'm overly worried.

A mechanic friend told me it's not warming up because the thermostat is knackered and changing it will sort out the long heat up time. ( easilly an hour ).

On my Alhambra that heater doesn't work either. I find having the cabin heater on helps a bit (the one on a separate switch on the dash) but I just put up with the cold for the first 5 miles.

Sponsored Links
guys join our new forum,and get more detailed intructions on the problems you have.

new gas,im still here m8. ;)
does your needle reach 90 degrees?
if not then yes change the thermostat,if it does then i would see if the run on pump is working.these can be fixed if you have a bit of a hands on approach by removing it and changing the brushes,fords will gladly sell you a new 1 iro £100-£200.

crickleymal,
having your heater on in these cars will not help get the car up to temp,just take the engine longer to warm up.as ive said the vw lump is very efficient it doesnt produce enough waste heat to warm the cabin.
either get your heater fixed or go cold your engine will thank you for it in the long run.

Well to update ,, I have disconnected the aux. heater by taking diconnecting the switch underneath the car.

It does'nt come on now so no more smoke and also to add it feels like it is better on the fuel side cos i do a lot of short journeys in this and the aux. heater was constantly coming on, so non of that now.

I believe my thermostat is not working properly cos the car takes forever to get upto temp. and when if it does it goes down very quickly if turned off for a few mins. :rolleyes:

Is the thermostat a difficult job?

the fg forum is back up and running but losing members quickly to our new forum,take a looksie in the faqs of the old forum im sure its in there(location of thermostat)
the reason its losing heat quickly is there is no air running over the rad,so as said before the engines on these cars are very efficient so all heat is used for the engine itself,the booster heater is used to get the car up to temp quickly and to give the ocupants some needed heat.
oh iirc its fuse number 11 you need to pull to isolate the boster heater.

join our new forum for more question/answers.

ive got 2 cars in the family both with the vw pd engine in them, a transporter and an alhambra. Both do take a while to warm up but give out good heat to the cabin once up to temp.
if your temp gauge shows normal there shouldnt be any reason your cabin doesnt get heat unless your water isnt circulating, fan isnt working, or some form of heat control valve/flap is not opening surely?
i

Temp. is not going up to 90 now as stated earlier and when it stats to rise it goes back down when heat is called for, heat does start to enter the car in line with temp. of water.

Thermostat?? :rolleyes:

here you go newgas,the troll has found it for you ;)

hopefully this is correct for your version,

The thermostat is located on the engine block just below the spherical vacuum chamber. You will need a torx bit with a extension shaft, can't remember the size. Don't forget to get a replacement "O" ring for the thermostat.

here you go newgas,the troll has found it for you ;)

hopefully this is correct for your version,

The thermostat is located on the engine block just below the spherical vacuum chamber. You will need a torx bit with a extension shaft, can't remember the size. Don't forget to get a replacement "O" ring for the thermostat.
About time FFS ;) :D

Could you not get a diagram for it :eek: I'm being serious.

FM,would you like me to replace it for you as well? :rolleyes:

i went through various bits of info i had and searched google for you.
as there isnt a haynes manuel for the mk2 shalaxy.

tried to pm you,but your private,
got a bit more info for you but as its copywrited cannot post in open forum.

Can you post it in the 'other' forum, I'll see it there, or better get it in the CC if you can.
Thanks by the way.

ps. if you could change it for me I'd be willing to travel and buy you a drink :D ;)

Sponsored Links
Back