Forgot the insert on the MDPE main, OK or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The incoming mains pipework connection has been leaking for a long time it seems so as I decided to replace it.

I used a new 25mm to 15mm connector, it has a compression fitting at the 25mm side and a push fit at the 15mm end.

Once I'd put it all together and turned the water back on, I noticed that I had not put the insert in the end of the MDPE.

It's not leaking and seems firm, so should I disassemble it all or leave it?

The MDPE pipe itself seems to be very rigid without the insert, so I'm not sure what added rigidity the insert would give?

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't leave it. Insert is there the stop MDPE from collapse itself over time and may pull it out of fitting under pressure.

Daniel.

Maybe it will hold for decades. Maybe it will blow tonight when the mains pressure increases.

Who knows? Know what I would do.

I can't replace tonight as Ill need to buy a new fitting as the push fit end is going to be firmly attached to the copper pipe by shark teeth and not reusable?

The compression end is only hand tight plus a snug up by 1/8 turn as per the instructions, I didn't realise these types could blow off like push fits.

Sponsored Links
Do you have enough play on pipe, enough to undo compression, pull fitting out of MDPE and fit insert then refit?

Daniel

After much pulling and pushing Ive got the insert into the MDPE pipe now and all done back up. The Cuprofit fittings that Ive also used allowed some play in the pipework quite alarming , the amount of play really.

I did notice that the MDPE didnt seem to be as far into the fitting as Id like, so I had to pull on the incoming pipe out the ground as much as I could to gain a couple of mm or so. I dont remember it being like that yesterday.

I disconnected the pipe so I could seat it into the connector fully, but now there is a weep from it. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back