Fox deterrent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm asking about foxes (well you know that bit!), I've searched the forum without a real answer for this particular issue.
My neighbour is renovating his house, as am I. He kindly destroyed his shed which was housing about five foxes/cubs in the summer. We live near a wood but I know foxes are territorial and they will not move on easily. So no surprise they have relocated to my Anderson shelter. Most of my garden was overgrown, but I've recovered half of it. The plan was to have it all back by next summer.
I like foxes, and nature for that matter, but... kids and a puppy want to play in the garden. I've put up a temporary fence, giving me some time. I don't mind the foxes coming into the garden to play upon occasion but l'm going to remove the Anderson shelter.

What to do????

Sponsored Links
If you move the shed foxes will move to alternate place. Yes they are territorial, but without shelter will find another shed. They avoid contact with humans in open. Do not believe the nonsence in newspapers about fox attacks or so.

they avoid large male carnivores by scent.

So after a big steak or a roast dinner, wee round you garden and shed, they will keep clear.

I think male urine keeps then away.
In my previous house, I used to get foxes heard about the urine & Peed in the garden, I think it worked. (Fosters or Carlesberg)

Sponsored Links
I have large compost bins in the bottom corner of my garden, and plenty of wee has recently gone on the one currently being filled. I do get plenty of animal poop on the area of grass nearby. I'm going to put wee on regularly and see if it does anything. Worst case I get good compost.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try the urine method from after the impending cold snap. Wouldn't want them homeless for Christmas 😊 and will have to be more direct and try disturbing their den if they don't get the message! Anyone got any riot fear hanging about 😅

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back