Lawnmowing...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Discussion/advice...

When I bought my house, I owned an 18" Bosh electric mower - it had been over-kill for the garden at my rental... but it seemed a bit puny for the larger garden where I moved.

One evening, in the summer, after toiling with the electric Bosch mower... I opened a bottle of wine, and browsed Ebay. In my infinite wisdom, I bought a second hand ride-on mower... with a questionable clutch declared. I thought, numbed by good wine, "I managed to change the clutch on my first car - a lawnmower can't be more difficult/expensive than that - can it?" Then I had a vision of modifying this ride-on mower... by adding Knight-Rider lights.... and, because it was cheap, I failed to resist the stupid urge to buy it.

Once I got it transported home - the clutch failed immediately. Then I found that I couldn't find anyone to service/repair it... or find a cost-effective clutch to replace it with myself. During "lockdown" I did some research and found I could refurbish the clutch using a particular adhesive and a cheaply available after-market clutch surface. I managed to refurbish the clutch - but, in doing so, noticed the deck needed refurbishment.... so did that - stripping back all the paint then using a layer of Red Led followed by Hammerite... but... once the world started to function again... I no-longer had spare time to put it all back together... and it has languished in parts ever since. Perhaps - in a decade or two - when I'm retired - I'll achieve my dream of mowing my law while pretending to be Michael Knight... but, until then, I need to be a bit more practical.

The ride on mower was a spectacularly stupid idea from the outset... my bigger garden is only just big enough for it to make sense to ride around mowing... but it is big enough to be a real pain to cut with a corded electric... especially as my available time is limited and sporadic... so, often, the grass is long when I get around to cutting it. I settled for using my corded Electric Bosch - which was an acceptable compromise for a while. It now cuts for about 15 minutes - then sequels like a pig and makes burning smells... cutting the whole lawn takes me about 4 hours - excluding breaks. I don't think it's going to last until I've refurbished my ride-on mower.

I've noticed others, with similar sized gardens, seem to prefer "propelled petrol" mowers... they walk behind them (rather than ride-on). I've never used a petrol mower - propelled or otherwise. Any ideas/advice from old hands?

One of my concerns is that my lawn is 'lumpy'... so any mower I buy (without consuming wine, and throwing common-sense to the wind first) would need to cope with non-flat lawns... My grass definitely resembles "the rough" more than "the green" from a golf course. I might fix that some day - but it won't be any day soon. A friend recently splashed out and bought a high-spec autonomous rechargeable self-driving lawnmower... I envy him for having a robot doing his chores... but don't think they work properly yet... and they're prohibitively expensive today. Perhaps in a decade I will be able to buy a cost-effective robot to do it for me.

Back to sensible: I've found these candidates for self-propelled petrol mowers:

What should I be looking for? The price difference between 18" and 21" cutting widths seems high to me... I'd prefer minimum effort to complete a mow - but the 21" Fox mower is £90 (37%) more than the 18" - but only seems to offer 17% wider cut. To me, that makes the top-of-the-range seem much worse value. I've not got good intuition about which brands are 'worth more' - but I assume some are. Is my intuition that the Hyundai will be more robust that the Hawksmoor or Fox mowers a good one? Are there other brands I should consider?

Sponsored Links
Consider the Honda Izy, 18 or 21” cut - 4 wheels rather than a roller and probably the most reliable mower in the World!
Change the oil yearly, care for the steel deck and it’ll still be mowing in 20 years time.
Pattern spares are readily available.
John

I had the Hyundai HYM 510SPE. Electronic start, (so no tugging a piece of rope), with variable speed control when propelling. I enjoyed using it and my disbled wife loved that she could start it up herself and walk around at her pace with ease. It was a bit on the heavy side for her when she tried to do a sharp turn, (such as at the end of a straight run to turn around and come back parallel to the previous cut). All in all a good machine, or so I thought.
Come to check/change the blade after about 2 years and, even though it was still quite good, decided to change it. Seemed a bit odd when I loosened the retaining bolt as it became slack after a few turns, start undoing by hand and it went stiff again. Out comes the ratchet again and I eventually get the bolt out only to discover the thread looked crossed. Fitted the blade and tried to tighten it, (with the bolt turning easily by hand as I threaded it in), until I was almost home and needed the ratchet for the final tightening. It began to tighten slightly then suddenly was free spinning. Had trouble getting it back out as couldn't get a 'bite' on the threads. Eventually removed it and the blade and found the thread on the bolt was practically missing! Used my endoscope to look at the thread inside the end of the shaft and it was completely gone! I mean 'gone'! There was a small thread trace in the wall of the shaft but not enough to grip a bolt securely. Because it was outside the 2 year warranty I had no claim back.

Sponsored Links
Consider the Honda Izy, 18 or 21”
I've taken a look... I guess they may be well made - but they're quite pricey compared with even the Hyundai ones I found. At £563, it's about 50% more expensive - and still only has an 18" cut... and only a 50L collection. For what looks comparable with the £306 Hyundai, the Honda IZY HRG466SKEP comes in at £628 - over twice as expensive. I noted the 5-year warranty... but I'm not sure that'd justify it for me. I expect my mower to get light use (it's for one garden - in a house on an estate... my garden isn't even measured in fractions of an acre) so I don't expect to wear it out through use... and I do intend to keep it in a garage... any should last more than 5 years... (I cut the lawn say 12 times a year... and if it takes only 2 hours with the right tools for the job... that suggests 24 hours a year of lawnmower service. After 5 years - it'd only have done 120 hours... and I'd expect any of them to last much longer than that.

Might the Hawksmoor be a cost effective way to get Honda engineering at an affordable price?

I had the Hyundai HYM 510SPE. ... Used my endoscope to look at the thread inside the end of the shaft and it was completely gone! I mean 'gone'! There was a small thread trace in the wall of the shaft but not enough to grip a bolt securely. Because it was outside the 2 year warranty I had no claim back.

Hmm - HYP510SPE... the one I found was an HYP5100SPE - and the advert suggested it was a new model... so I'm not sure if this £306 one is the same as the one you had problems with. I guess the moral of your story is that I should service my mower every year - then i'd find such a fault when under warranty. Do you think your problems indicative of broader issues with Hyundai quality - or might it have been a one-off?

I've had a Honda Izy for twelve years now. When I first bought it I stripped the deck of all the components and sprayed everything with Waxoyl. Put it back together. Respray the visible surfaces at least once a year. Pressure wash 2 or 3 times per year.
Service pack (spark plug, oil, air filtet) about £20. I service mine once every two years. Changed the blade about 2 years ago.
Starts everytime.
All parts on the deck are bolt on.

Also I have a mountfield - the drivebelt comes off the front pully on a regular basis - not difficult to put back just time consuming and the machine has to be supported properly.

My dad bought a brand new basic honda mower in the year 2000. I don't think he's ever cleaned or painted the deck. I fitted a new deck for him in 2015.
It still runs great to this day.

Sorry to say you can't compare a Honda to a Hyundai.

If you want to spend less time cutting the grass, get the widest mower you can.
21" for a small lawn, you can get 2nd hand commercial mowers with multiple blades that are 28"/30"/32"/36" etc

Robotic mowers are up to the job, but won't fit your budget.

John, what's the best way to care for the steel deck?

Andy
Hi Andy
Best to cover the deck underside with a good thick layer of Hammerite, I find - and done as soon as possible.
An unprotected deck will be scrap in 8 years, new decks are around the £130 mark.
Others like Waxoyl or whatever - I find the grass just wipes it away after time.
John :)

I appreciate the price of the Honda may be off putting, but if you see the amount of these machines being used by professional landscapers there has to be a reason.
The engines are so reliable....I'm using machines that date back to 2002 - the original blue deck models. Instant starting, just the odd puff of smoke on start up if they are elderly.
They don't break drive belts
The transmissions go on for ever
The tickover is reliable
Even the control cables seldom snap.
Moans? They don't always fill the grass bag completely....and that's about it! I don't like the auto choke models, but that's where we are. if you have one of these, allow it to warm up before you turn it off!
Avoid folding the handles if you can - that does give the cables a hard time.

Any ideas/advice from old hands?
15 years ago I bought a Chinese no-name self propelled 53cm petrol mower from eBay. I wasn't expecting much, for the 180 quid I paid but I'm astounded that 15 years on it still starts and drives after sitting in the outdoors all winter.. it's had a bit of patching over the time, some plastics have gone hard and snapped, but I've never touched the engine, never even changed the oil, other than to clean the float bowl out on the carb a few weeks ago. Probably doesn't help that it's never had a fuel filter..

Some are just winners, and some are trouble?

That said, it's very heavy and does throw its drive belt off occasionally because the plastic housing protecting it under the deck has been smashed to bits by me doing all sorts of ill treatment over the years. Moving the grass lumps (45 degree sides) behind the house, that we're out in the garden to introduce some "motorcycling interest features" is hard work, and for that I would look at a cordless battery alternative one day

I appreciate the price of the Honda may be off putting, but if you see the amount of these machines being used by professional landscapers there has to be a reason.
The engines are so reliable....I'm using machines that date back to 2002 - the original blue deck models. Instant starting, just the odd puff of smoke on start up if they are elderly.

Hmm... I definitely wouldn't be arguing about the sort of mower a landscaper should get... cost amortisation makes a big difference... but I'm aware that mine will only get very occasional use... so I'd want to be sure I'm still getting value.

Is it the Honda engine that's the key thing? Hawksmoor have these two options:

With a Honda engine, it's £428.98 - with a Briggs & Stratton £399.98 - both are 21". If it'd last a lot longer (age vs worn-out being the risk) then £29 seems a price worth paying. Conversely - if it's other parts of the mower that will fail for me... is the difference between these two a justification for Honda - given expected light use? Does the Hawksmoor brand suggest the overall package is less robust?

I must confess to never have heard of the Hawksmoor brand.......maybe they are produced specifically for Toolstation - I wouldn't know.
Anyway, I have lots of time for both Honda and Briggs engines, although the Briggs lump lacks the refinement of the Honda and the longevity isn't as good.
Generally speaking, it's the plastics of cheaper machines that fail so much - Honda have that right though using metal where appropriate.
These machines aren't cheap, so I guess they are a cut above (pun) from the B&Q Sovereign equivalent.
The decks are steel though, so treatment will be necessary.
Good luck with your choice, some dealers give good prices on machines at the end of the season.
Have you considered Viking machines?

Hmm - HYP510SPE... the one I found was an HYP5100SPE - and the advert suggested it was a new model... so I'm not sure if this £306 one is the same as the one you had problems with. I guess the moral of your story is that I should service my mower every year - then i'd find such a fault when under warranty. Do you think your problems indicative of broader issues with Hyundai quality - or might it have been a one-off?
To be honest, it's the first time I've bought a Hyundai branded tool so can't give an honest comment on broader issues.
I had a Sovereign for about 5-6 years, lent it to my future son in law, and he tried to 'service' it before bringing it back. Unfortunately, he couldn't remember what went where and I don't have a clue about petrol/diesel engine stuff, so I let him keep it to tinker with. It's still in bits in his garage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back