Franke Tap - Valve Covers Won't Come Off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, need some help getting the valve covers off this Franke tap to replace the valves.

2.jpg

Have undone the grub screw underneeth and sprayed WD40 in the end and soaked it in white vinager but it's not budging at all.

The only way I can think of now is to jam a flat head inbetween the cover and tap body to get some leverage on it but obviously that will ruin the finish on the tap. Have got replacement valve covers so don't mind ruining those just don't know how to go about it or if there is a tool I can get to prise it off?

Sponsored Links
Have you tried turning the cover by twisting - counterclockwise to loosen for normal thread? Showing a picture of the replacement cover will help. What is inside it?

Did try twisting it no movement at all. It's a hard water area I wonder if it's limescale bonding it to the tap body.

Here's the replacement cover, it's smooth inside no thread or anything.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

What's the threaded hole on the side of the cover? Does it open to inside of the cover to allow fixing by a grub screw?

Sponsored Links
Worth checking there isn't another grub screw. They are sometimes fitted in twos to help prevent loosening.

What's the threaded hole on the side of the cover? Does it open to inside of the cover to allow fixing by a grub screw?
Sorry forgot to mention I had already removed the grub screw.

If you've got replacements give it a tap with a hammer to break limescale seal .
Will try that.
Worth checking there isn't another grub screw. They are sometimes fitted in twos to help prevent loosening.
Seems to only be one. Whatever I pour into the hole for the valve comes out the grub screw hole as well.

Thank you all for the suggestions, looks like I just got to show it the hammer.

If the tap is on ceramics, hammering risks cracking it. Maybe taking off the whole tap to work on it if that is an option. Rather than WD40, try cilit bang. I found that to work well on scale.

I would be tempted to give it a gentle tap from above, possibly with a rubber mallet.

Looking at the removal video, I agree that it is probably just limescale.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back