Free Loft insulation Deal, Good idea or not worth doing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently pricing up re insulating the loft and have come across varous energy firms offering to supply and fit for free.

Question is, is it worth it, will there be a catch, long time scale before they can complete or not interested in being helpful or adaptable. My loft I think is fairly standard in that its part boarded and has about 50mm of current insulation in 100mm joists. I would want to reboard it after insulating on loft stilts in the middle 1/4 of the loft. Would their installation bear this in mind or am I better doing it myself at a pace that I can fit stilts as I go etc.

Any advice or thoughts welcome

Sponsored Links
I
have just had the free insulation and boarded it- it was fine for me, its easy enough to move to one side as you go along with your stilts- mine was like this:
As you can see in the image this worked really well- of course the stilts work equally well with boards on top if you only want a small area.

I say go for it with the free insulation- loft not difficult to board with the stilts, i did it in about 3 evenings after work. (admittedly my loft is not huge but it is very easy) :D

View media item 52395
View media item 53239

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back