Freeview HD signal destroyed with loopthrough/splitter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have almost exactly the same setup, as of yesterday, when new Samsung HD TV was delivered.

As it has been set up, I can either:

Connect aerial to TV and get HD channels but not be able to record on PVR. OR
Connect aerial to PVR and use PVR but not get any HD?

I'd rather not have to buy a new HD PVR, so this thread is of huge interest. Harry - could you explain how you sorted this?

I'm hoping I need to:
buy a passive splitter and some bits of coaxial cable and connect my aerial to both TV and PVR
Connect TV to PVR using SCART cable.

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
I have abandoned the PVR loopthrough and used a passive splitter connecting the PVR and the TV

Looking at the bit error rate, I get a number of errors on HD channels but nothing the FEC cannot sort out (so perfect picture)

Dont buy a cheap plastic splitter. Get a higher quality (metal cased) splitter (only a few quid)

Ensure that the TV and the PVR DC power output is off (unless you need power for a mast head amp). There may reduce noise

Hope this sorts out your problems.

Harry

Thanks very much Harry.

I'm afraid my knowledge of AV is zero.

Is the passive splitter I need a coaxial splitter? I've got one of those and 2 lengths of coaxial cable on order.

Do you connect the PVR and the TV using a SCART cable?

Thanks again,

Jeff

Sponsored Links
Coaxial splitter OK. Yeap, I connected PVR to TV via SCART.

I actually used F-type splitter (5-2400MHz) and put F-type connectors on my cables with adaptor on ends to TV / PVR. F-types are screw thread connectors. Ensure better connection.

Harry[/img]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back