freeview HD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys .
I am fitting a freeview dish and set top box to be able to get freeview HD , a mate of mine has got a roll of RG59 cctv cable and said i can have it to wire up between dish and box if i want it , my question is will it work ok or do i need to use a special type of cable to recive HD on freeview , any help on this will be much apriciated

Sponsored Links
RG-59 is not really suitable for UHF TV and definately unsuitable for satallite.

Sponsored Links
Length of cable is real thing I have used RG-59 for short runs without problem but long runs it is no good. Also "Free to Air" boxes vary a lot as to sensitivity.

As to "Freeview" there is no HD on this yet. Only used on Satellite TV at moment.

There is "free to Air" = no encryption satellite
"Free to view" = encrypted but a single payment is all that is required again satellite.
"Sky" encrypted service which needs monthly payment and a box provided by Sky and the card is matched to box. It also needs a phone connection to receive films because you only pay when viewed not when recorded.
"Freeview" is terrestrial free to air TV
"Top up" is encrypted terrestrial TV which is near impossible to get viewing cards for as they want you to buy box and pay monthly like sky.

Do be careful to get a box you can use. I have seen loads of old Sky boxes for sale and they will work but not as well as a proper free to air box and even with free to air boxes the EPG varies a lot box to box.

Be careful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back