French doors installed too low?

What sort of flooring will you be fitting and how thick is it?
Your finished floor height will be even higher on the glass line.

Sponsored Links
Laminate flooring will be fitted (about 10mm with underlay). It will block about 10mm of the bottom of the side window glass.

The fitter has called again, he has said he can replace the side windows so they are smaller and the floor wont cover the trim that is use to replace the glass.

And for the bottom of the door, he has said he can use a trim at an angle to transition from the bottom of the frame and the increased in floor height (about 10mm once the flooring is down)

What does everyone think? is the a fair compromise or should i be pushing for new doors?

Thanks,
Dan.

Well utlimately the decision is yours BUT i wouldn't accept it...he is already admitting he got it wrong by saying he'll replace the side windows.

He'll nned to take the door out to do the side windows anyway ...he just needs to fess up to his mistake and get on with it. We all make mistakes!

Sponsored Links
Do not accept this, do not under any circumstances pay anything, offer to pay the full amount with no quibbles once the course of bricks are relaid and the correct sized door and side panels are fitted

Its hard to tell from the photos and the tape on the inside but it looks like the doors and windows are all welded in one frame (i.e not 2 separate windows and a door) What does everyone else think?
If so he would have to cut the frame to seperate the windows? Or are they 3 separate frames?

I think what he is thinking is that he could reorder the sidelights with heavy duty frame at the bottoms which would give an extra 20mm on them.

Can you put a bit of laminate down on the floor upto both the door threshold and window frame and take a few pics?

Its one of those it might be ok but could be awful, I will leave jugment untill I have seen those pics and know if its 3 separate frames or not.

Looks to be welded in one Gaz, top right I think you can just make the weld out viewed inside.

The fitter is clutching at straws if if thinks he'll replace the side screens, will look naff as well

This install needs to go though LABC to be signed off, depending what inspector you get, if it's below dpc it could fail

Should have trickle vents as well

Total mess!!

Doesn't look like separate side panels to me, better pics would help but it looks all one piece, can't see any couplers between the door and side panels in which case the frame would be doubled up and it doesn't look that thick, just looks like Z profile

Looks to be welded in one Gaz, top right I think you can just make the weld out viewed inside.

The fitter is clutching at straws if if thinks he'll replace the side screens, will look naff as well

This install needs to go though LABC to be signed off, depending what inspector you get, if it's below dpc it could fail

Should have trickle vents as well

Total mess!!

Trickle vents on a knock through? Its not technically a new opening is it? I don't fit them on a knock through.

Also I quite often go below DPC on a knock through to give the lowest possible threshold. I wrap a new dpc down and round although Ive always considered this over kill as the PVC frames and cill are a DPC in themselves.

I have had Fensa come and inspect a couple of knock through's and they have never said anything?

As the others have said the company are going to have to bit the bullet here and get this changed. A new set of doors and windows are going to be needed.

Trickle vents on a knock through? Its not technically a new opening is it? I don't fit them on a knock through.

Also I quite often go below DPC on a knock through to give the lowest possible threshold. I wrap a new dpc down and round although Ive always considered this over kill as the PVC frames and cill are a DPC in themselves.

I have had Fensa come and inspect a couple of knock through's and they have never said anything?[/QUOTE]

If you're replacing the only window in the room with a door then trickle vents are required for background ventilation??
The existing window would of been able to been left on the night vent, something you can't do with the door.
Depends on the inspector at the end of the day, no chance of getting away with it up here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back