French drain - soakaway crates?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've talked for a while about installing a French drain where we have some damp issues on our solid-brick walls and my understanding is these are normally filled with gravel?

I came across these plastic crates for soakaway drains which work on the idea gravel will only end up full of silt eventually:
90004M3F-2.jpg

I wondered if these or something similar would be suitable for French drains, it basically forces an air-gap? It seems a similar principle but I never saw a FD up close and personal so maybe a daft idea?

Sponsored Links
MisterBoy, good evening.

The devices you have posted would require a massive excavation close to the property, and the possibility of going below the foundations with the excavations needed to set in these crates.

Below is a link to a commercial retailer about French drains. [other suppliers are out there]

https://www.permagard.co.uk/advice/installing-a-french-drain

In general a french drain is simply a trench, it does not have to be all that wide? and if in close proximity to a property, suggest srtongly you do not take the excavation below the lowest level of the foundations, for obvious reasons?

In a standard French drain there will be a perforated plastic pipe at or near the base of the trench, resting on a thin layer of gravel and surrounded by similar material. Now to keep the gravel free draining, the base and both walls of the excavation are [or should be] wrapped in a Geotextile. Try google for "Terram" [other similar products available] this Geotextile allows water to pass but holds back the mud / dirt and small particles.

OK I can see a use for the devices you are considering, but as a Soak away in themselves, the trick to keeping them clear is as above, Geotextile.

Ken.

Thanks Ken. Yeah these crates are pretty large so I wondered if you could use a smaller version. I hadn't realised the French design included the pipe to similarly keep it clear.

Sponsored Links
The french/aco drain channel still needs to drain somewhere. That’s either into the main surface drainage or a soakaway (cubic metre hole several meters away from any houses)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back