Where to discharge drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had persistent damp since moving in to our new house, likely coming in through the side wall. I was recommended to put in some channel or french drains to keep water away. Seems like a reasonable idea, but the problem I have is that our house is a semi, built into a hill sloping front to back, so the drains in the front are much too high and to access the drain at the rear would mean going around and under a big concrete slab and a substantial brick staircase.

I have seen videos online of french drains filled with gravel that don't seem to be connected to a sewer or soakaway (like this guy
). I'm really not keen to excavate the back of the house, and digging a soakaway in the garden is possible but seems like overkill. Should I just do it or will a gravel channel below the dpc be good enough to keep the house dry?

Sponsored Links
Can you post some pics of the affected area, because if the ground slopes away at the rear a bridged or broken dpc is the more likely cause, or possibly leaking gutters or drains.

Sponsored Links
Can you post some pics of the affected area, because if the ground slopes away at the rear a bridged or broken dpc is the more likely cause, or possibly leaking gutters or drains.
I am pretty sure that is also the case, but I still need to sort out the drainage at the side of the house. When we moved in the soil was one or 2 bricks above the dpc. I've dug it out now so the dpc is a couple of bricks above ground and thinking about options to finish it off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back