Blocked soakaway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Moved into a new house with a sloping, slabbed drive. (Slope is running toward the property)

The last few times it has rained I have ended up with 4/5inches of water, which is just under my front door.

Ended up out in the rain at midnight, trying to unblock the gulley. So far no flooding, but been away for the weekend and was expecting the worse on my return...

I have had Dyno road out 3 times. They advised my gulley is not sufficient as the soakaway is blocked. The pipe / drain to the soakaway is very short and the jet hose only goes in a few inches. (This puts the soakaway about a meter from the property)

The gulley itself is 4 inches wide and on the left hand side of my drive.

What is the best course of action?

Do I lift the whole drive, fit larger gulleys the full width of the house, with new larger
Soakaways?

Could I lift all the slabs and put the drive back to gravel? How would I stop the gravel compressing over time?

Seems like whatever I end up doing, the drive needs to come up anyway, so want to do the most efficient thing in the long term.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
We have a gravel drive and its excellent for drainage, used a grid system on one side with 10mm gravel and it's heldup very well to being parked on and woked on!.

Had it down 6 years now..

Photo0114.jpg

Paulsmith01, good evening.

I notice that this is your first post in here, welcome to the board.

You note in your post that this is a "New House" is that new to you or? is it a brand new property?

Next question? are there any obvious visual indications on the surface of the ground that water has for some considerable time been flooding as you describe?

Sorry no answers just some questions

Ken.

Hi.

Thanks for the reply.

The house is new to me. 1940’s build.

Looking outside, no obvious stains or damage to brick work.

Dyno rod think the current soakaway is blocked.

Also, I live opposite a park, and there is a LOT debris blowing over (petals, pollen, leaves etc). We are sweeping daily, but only fire fighting.

As mentioned, came back today and a large puddle over the drain, after rain yesterday. Most of the water drained away.

Drain was blocked with mud and debris so would have flooded if heavy rain today.

Would like a long term resolution, as the rainfall has been heavy this year.

(If I hadn’t called Dyno Rod at midnight on Saturday I would defiantly have been flooded. The garage has now partially flooded twice)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you got any photo's of the area Paul? Might help with getting some ideas back. I have experienced a blocked soakaway at my property and can confirm that it is quite worrying when water is building up quickly around your house! Mine was like a moat! I currently have a work around in place but am going to have to dig mine out over summer. Building regs have changed so I am told, thereofore my current soakaway is too close to my property at little over 1m away. I think current regs require it to be further away, but do check.

I’ve attached pictures.

The gulley is about a metre from the house.

When it rains heavily it can’t drain fast enough and I end up with a puddle the width of the drive and a metre or so either side of the gulley.

Or it just gets blocked with mud / leaves etc

Attachments

• 07D153F0-730F-4A3A-9700-5FF4D79807AA.jpeg
    07D153F0-730F-4A3A-9700-5FF4D79807AA.jpeg
    517.1 KB · Views: 166
  • D9446CCE-F5EE-4A6F-B62F-4B715F554334.jpeg
    D9446CCE-F5EE-4A6F-B62F-4B715F554334.jpeg
    499 KB · Views: 147
unless all the yard/driveway surface is sloped towards the grid, just like in a centred shower tray waste, the water will run off in other directions.
from the gate does the drive slope to the house?
theres a retro added sand and cement plinth against the house,, probly added to hopefuly prevent water damage.
is that a trapped gulley ?
wheres the nearest manhole?
have you tried putting a hose down the gulley?

i'd imagine you have suspended floors but any air bricks could have been covered by the plinth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back