Soakaway for driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

we are getting our drive done (about 7m wide x 5m deep) and need some advice regarding the drainage. Plan is to replace the existing block paving with granite setts around the border and then MOT Type 1 subbase with gravel grids and gravel on top. The drive is on a fair slope towards the house and at this point in time water penetrates under the garage door when it rains heavily, even though we have a drain at the bottom.

We are wondering if we should also install a soakaway under the drive...obviously the gravel is more porous than block paving so it will probably drain much better than it does currently, but do you think a soakaway would still be needed? The ground has a moderate clay content and I have read they’re not always suitable.

The rainwater pipe also discharges on to the ground from a valley gutter so we were also thinking of connecting that to the soakaway. However I also read subsidance or heave can occurr on clay soil which is dry for a prolonged period, and with all the water travelling via the soakaway I am a bit worried about that as well.

would you recommend putting a soakaway in, and just as importantly, could doing so do more harm than good?

Many thanks

Jimmy

Attachments

• 19B1965F-7733-49D4-A3DC-CD03B4855D2D.jpeg
    19B1965F-7733-49D4-A3DC-CD03B4855D2D.jpeg
    578.7 KB · Views: 159
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back