French Drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have spent the last 2 days & nights digging drains into the garden! Followed instructions from a french drain website! I now have water filled ditches with a murky swimming pool at the bottom of the swamp! The soil is waterlogged with a layer of what looks like clay a 1ft depth the a compacted sand layer another few inches down.......... the field behind is a few inches above the garden...
Do I need to raise my garden??
What substrates should I use??
Or should I just dig a swimming pool?
Help!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
where are you intending to drain the water to? its all very well digging the trench system but it needs to go somewhere. ie a soakaway

Sponsored Links
How deep should the soakaway be? I have already dug one but I fear it is not deep enough :cry:

Depends on conditions. If you're getting flood it probably means not deep enough, or not penetrating non-permeable layer? Also, you have to have fall from FD to soakaway.

Percolation test is best way of predicting soakaway depth required (see www.pavingexpert.com).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back