French Drains v Tanking

Hi, I have been told by a civil engineer consultant that this is a really common problem in older houses and that I should learn to live with it, inject the internal walls with a dpc and replaster affected walls. I had my walls injected with a dpc and have had the tiled hearth dug out half way ( I dont know why they didnt dig it all out as the sand is soaking up all the water under the boards when it rains like a sponge and is still making my floor boards damp) Would it be a good idea to dig out the hearth completely and put in a joist to support the boards? I have also heard that a friend of a friend had the same problem and they had the sub floor concreted which completely cured the problem. How would I go about this if there are electric cables and water/gas pipes for the central heating system running under the boards? Can anyone out there give me any suggestions? Also a sump pump has been suggested but what would be the point of this if the water drains away on its own after the rain stops. I would also have to keep taking the carpet up if it breaks down or needs attention.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back