Fridge/freezer always on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently purchased a LEC fridge/freezer TFL55148S and it always seems to be on.

I have noticed that ice/frost builds up on the back wall and doesn’t clear. The thermostat is set at 2 (out of 5).

There is a persistent noise from the unit, is this an air circulating fan and /or the compressor? I was just wondering if the compressor is always on or whether it is a fan.

Any hints on why the ice is not clearing as it is a self defrost unit? I should add that the temperature in the fridge remains fairly stable, around 5degC, when on setting 2. It’s just the back wall which gets covered in ice.

I have switched off the fridge to allow the ice to melt and I have cleaned away the water but the ice comes back on again.

Sponsored Links
Insulation failure, uneconomic to repair, needs replacing. Make sure it is not defrosted before the repair man arrives, I would always defrost first, and we had a series of guys come out, all with different ideas, then one time I did not defrost, he opened door and closed it again and condemned fridge freezer, by this time it was around 15 years old, it did sterling service after that, brewing beer, held at 20°C it worked OK.

Thank you for your suggestions. The appliance is only 3 weeks old (!!) and I’ve been trying to arrange a service visit (tricky with Christmas) so thought I’d try here in advance of the engineer next week. Has been like this since installation.

Sponsored Links
I suspect it will get replaced. The problem is if the installation has be damaged it builds up ice through the installation which in turn transmits heat into the inside, once ice has melted, it seems OK, until it builds up again. I think mine had been damaged in transit, then new outer panels fitted, but insulation had been crushed so now no good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back