Front door lock.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved house.
Front door lock picture is attached.
It is a little temperamental
Have 2 keys sometimes they lock sometimes they don’t. Any advice on freeing the lock for smooth and guaranteed operation
Is there something I can squirt in. ???

Thanks. In advance

Attachments

• IMG_5191.jpeg
    IMG_5191.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 37
Sponsored Links
Vaseline. Take handle off. Remove lock.

I use vaseline because everyone has it. Unlike products like WD-40 it don't evaporate. It don't run or swell.

Might be worn out. Take a look but easy swap if you can buy a matching lock

DO NOT USE VASELINE!, or any other gel/oily liquid. Dust gets blown into locks and bits of fluff from the key when you take the key out of your pocket/handbag.
You should only use powdered lubricants such as graphite dust, which you can get in small 'puffer' plastic bottles. Once every three month or so, I rub a pencil lead over some fine glasspaper, tip it onto a clean sheet of paper, then give all our keys a good dipping into it. After dipping, insert and extract the key a few times, locking and unlocking the catch. I very rarely have a problem with any keys after doing this.

I know about graphite in locks but that cheap metal lock will be worn out. Going to need some lube to get it working until it finally becomes to difficult to use and needs replacing. Worth having a look and deciding what to do.

Sponsored Links
Make more sense to find the problem rather than chuck stuff in it . Looks poorly fitted is the lock, keep and hinges secure?
And correctly aligned?

That's right

But

If the lock operates correctly when the door is open, then the problem is door hanging

If it operates from one side but not the other, the keys are worn out.

Show us pics of the front of the lock (on the edge of the door) and the keys (showing both ends) and we can start identifying a replacement that will fit.

How did you guess that?
Experience.
Plus I did say take it out and look then decide. Not saying I'm right.
Replacement start at £10 and Screwfix have one for £13. Well engineered quality product that will last lifetime at that price? Just how things are now I guess.

If the lock operates correctly when the door is open, then the problem is door hanging
Or it could just be that the keep has been fitted slightly out of alignment. Common enough issue when snagging new installs (especially on price work jobs). Easy enough to fix by just adjusting the keep or by dint of some surreptitious filing of the keep to adjust (not a lockie's solution - but sometimes you need to extemporise...)

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back