Froststat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year we had a new Worcester boiler fitted. It is located in the garage. In the cold weather, it appears to operate all the time. As far as I understand, this is because:
The Frostatat in the garage or the internal boiler stat recognises the low ambient temp and initiates a boiler start up.
The pump starts and after 2 mins the boiler flares on
After a short period, the pipestat sees the return flow as "warm" and removes the run demand to the boiler (because it is in series with the froststat??)
The boiler turns off and the pump continues to operate for another 2 minutes to distribute the hot water from the boiler.
The sequence starts again.

As this is happening when there is no demand for heat or water (obviously), it is annoying and could, potentially, reduce the life of the boiler or the pump. On the other hand it is protecting the system.
I have not checked exactly where the hot water goes. My wife says not to the rads, but I do not know whether it is going through the maxiflow or, with both motorised valves closed, coming straight back to the boiler. I will check next time that I am home.

Is the setting on the pipestat wrong? Or would it be better to heat more water (ie the rads) so that the boiler runs for longer, but then is off for longer as there is more water to dissipate heat before the pipestat sees a drop in the return water temp?
Or do we have to live with it?

Sponsored Links
The frost stat and pipe stat are in series. The frost stat closes when the air temperature drops below about 5C and the pipe stat opens when the water temp reaches 20C. You could set this to a lower temperature - but not too low.

The rads will not feel hot as the water running through them is at about room temperature.

The output from the two stats should be wired so it opens the heating valve, which turns the boiler on.

The boiler's life is unlikely to be affected. Would you prefer to have burst pipes in the garage?

Thanks.
My concern is that the boiler is constantly cycling through this short heating cycle. When I am next home, I will check the temperature of the return pipe and, if possible, the setting of the pipestat.
What I expected/hoped for was that the return water temp would have been hot enough to keep the pipestat open and thus increase the time delay before the heating cycle started again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back