Frozen Supply Pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have woke up this morning to no water coming into my house. Yesterday everything was fine, I have had the heating on full for a couple of days, my heating is a Gledhill Boilermate 2000 system which is still working. Scottish Water confirmed that there was no existing or ongoing problems with the supply to my house. My neighbours have no problems. Scottish Water have diagnosed a frozen supply pipe, which they have said that nothing can be done about and I have to sit and wait until it thaws? Is this correct or can I do anything.

Sponsored Links
House or Flat? If you can trace where it enters the property it can sometimes be thawed out with a hairdryer.
I'm in an 18 month old new build in the Cairngorms and our downstairs supply is constantly doing this cos some divot decided to save a few quid and put the pipes in the(poorly sealed and insulated) floor cavity and it's on stilts....got the HW to the kitchen going by running a fan heater into the wall cavity where the stopcock is.
I'm not a plumber but you need to do some detective work to see if you can do anything. It's a huge waste of water but the best advice to at least keep a cold supply is leave a tap trickling when temps plummet.
Good luck!

Thanks; Its a house and the stop cock is in the kitchen sink cupboard, the inlet is in the space under the cupboard accessible by a kickboard. The pipe there is plastic and there is only about 3-4 inches that is not insulted inside the house below this it is insulated with foam insulation. I have tried numerous times to heat it there with a hair dryer but with no luck

Turn all taps off but leave the cold water tap open at the kitchen sink. (while you are at home) If the water comes back at least you can hear it. If you go out make sure you turn it off or you could have a frozen waste and over flowing sink. If you go out turn off you mains stop cock.

Try and find where it comes into the property and place a fan heater near by.

All the best.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice; but unfortunately I am still without any water. I tried heating the pipe where it enters the house but to no avail. There has been a big thaw in the area over the last 2 days but there has been no change to my situation. I am now waiting on a plumber (first available appointment is Thursday).

Andy

Thanks; I haven't checked it yet but as the 2 manhole covers in my front garden (I am assuming this is where the exterior stopcock is) have been, until today, covered in snow and hadn't been lifted I don't think it has. However anything is worth a try so I will check in the morning. I will keep you posted.

Sam

Depending on the size, these could be sewage or rain water manholes.

Go and get a torch! and have a look in the pavement, the size should be approx. 100mm to 150mm square.

Normally the exterior stop cock is in line with your interior stop cock.
So go outside and stand on the pavement in line with your internal stop cock, it should be around where your standing.

Andy

Won't help, but suffering same problem here, and Scottish Water no help at all..

Have tried hairdryer on Toby in street, have tried leaving a bulb switched on and stuck down hole on top of Toby.. Have tried pouring boiling water on Toby and have ran a hairdryer on the pipe from under floors in house, all to no avail.

Even opened pipe where it went under house wall and fed a plastic tube up as far as Toby then syphoned hot water up it. Yes I knew if it worked I'd get soaked but had someone ready to turn off Toby if it worked.. It didn't!

Patience now? Running out of that!!

Wilson930, Sympathy!!!! I'm also in Glasgow (south side) and have the same problem - now on day 3 with no water!! Central heating is working so house warm and all ice outside now thawed. I eventually got through to Scottish water who say no problem/other complaints about mains in my area and all neighbours have water, so they assume a frozen supply pipe to my house, which they do not cover. Cannot get through to Scottish Gas homecare/DynoRod (on hold 2 hours before gave up!!!!), but friend assures me nothing they will do till frozen pipes thaw and also they will not cover external water pipes, only ones in the house.

Thinking of getting a plumber but wondering what they could do if pipes frozen and I've no idea where - no signs of leaks either in house or in the garden or street. Should I attempt to get a plumber or wait a bit longer and hope we thaw? Have been blasting hairdrier at pipes under sink hoping heat conducts to wherever its frozen, to no avail, sigh!!!

I cannot find our stopcock, so panicking event of a burst pipe and flood. It's not under my sink (only a wee valve which we think is to cut off supply to washing machine or dishwasher) or in same place as our neighbour, in cloakroom by front door. Any ideas where else I might find it, and what it looks like?!!

Should look something like this...

71816.jpg

To access mine I have to remove the bottom draw in my kitchen unit.

Have a hunt around you might be lucky and find it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back