Frozen pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi woke up this morning with no water upstairs.
So I am assuming frizen pipe somewhere in the extension roof.
My question is, is it a given that I will have a burst pipe/s once the thaw starts? Or can a frozen pipe survive.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes frozen pipe's can survive as long as the ice has somewhere to expand too. The problem is water doesn't like to be compressed so unless it has a large space to do so then chance are it will burst through. Also depends on how much of the pipework has frozen up. It's a 50/50 unfortunately.

Placcie pipe is more tolerant than copper. If yours is plastic, once it's thawed out check any nearby connectors (they can be pushed out by the internal pressure)

Sponsored Links
Could you not put a heater up in the loft on an extension lead - a fan or small oil filled rad for example?

yes, i have put heating on and left extension loft hatch open

If you visually inspect the pipe and fittings for any peculiarities, it should be pretty evident. if anything is out pf place. Run your hand down the lengths of pipe, you will feel bulging/cracking.

Last summer I insulated the void with loads of rockwool, I guess noit enough warm air is now getting through the void.

How long should the pipe take to unfreeze assuming the temp outside raises to plus and no direct heat is applied to the pipe?

In the current low temperatures externally ,it's of no help. You need to heat the cold area where the frozen pipe is ,and insulate it better. Is it hot or cold affected ,or both. What runs downstairs ? Do you have loft tanks ?

Last summer I insulated the void with loads of rockwool, I guess noit enough warm air is now getting through the void.
You don't want warm air in the loft as it will cause condensation and eventually black mould.

An update, after lunchtime the pipe thawed and water is now running. Once it started running I have checked the pipe runs in the loft void and could not see any buldge or leak. The only length I could not check is the drop from the void into the downstairs wall behind the plasterboard. Most of the pipe was insulated but I did not notice frost on the bit that was exposed....who knows. I hope I have been lucky and nothing will split.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back