FTTP Phone line connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If anyone can help it would be REALLY appreciated....

Just had FTTP installed. The Fibre box has 4 ethernet RJ45 ports and one live RJ11 phone port which works fine with my home phone plugged into this port.

I need to utilise my existing phone wiring around the house, so have joined into the old phone cable in the roof space and run this via a new cable to the RJ11 port in the fibre box - The other end is now at the desired phone socket.

I've tested the joined line and all is good. My question is what sort of BT socket do I need to use? I bought a master socket and think I've Bought the wrong one as no matter how many permutations I use it will not work. Do I need just a slave socket? If so could anyone please explain the wiring by numbers i.e 4 wires in the RJ11 plug - 6 terminals in a slave socket - Looking down at the RJ11 1,2,3,4 how do these relate to 1-6 at the socket end.

Fingers crossed in anticipation!!

Sponsored Links
The Master Socket should be installed at the end of drop wire, where your phone line comes into your house. This (modern ones) will have two sockets in the faceplate, a phone outlet and a fibre modem outlet. Behind the faceplate will be a single socket into which the faceplate plugs, which is also a test socket. Your phone should work plugged in either the single socket, or the socket on the faceplate.

Any extension connects to the rear of the faceplate. Idea is, that if your have a fault, you can plug a phone into the single socket and test for go/no go, before involving BT. If it works in that socket, the fault is on your own equipment.

Slave sockets are all you need, beyond the Master Socket/ only one Master Socket is needed per line - the slave sockets are also smaller / simpler than the Masters.

Last edited:
Thats the trouble I've got. Its not a standard BT phone line - Its from the fibre company, direct from the FTTP box. The extension works if i connect it up using standard terminal blocks into a RJ11 to BT socket adaptor. I just need to know which wall socket and wiring to use :)

Thats the trouble I've got. Its not a standard BT phone line - Its from the fibre company, direct from the FTTP box. The extension works if i connect it up using standard terminal blocks into a RJ11 to BT socket adaptor. I just need to know which wall socket and wiring to use :)

Sorry, I missed the P in FTTP - I cannot help you with that..

Sponsored Links
I will make a guess, that you need to connect your slave sockets into the router socket, intended for your phone/where you found your phone does work. How you achieve that I don't really know, but you do not need the Master Socket at all.

Looking down at the RJ11 1,2,3,4 how do these relate to 1-6 at the socket end.

The centre two pins of the RJ11 go to pins 2 and 5 on the BT socket, not sure which way, it probably works both ways round.

You need a slave socket. A basic master socket can be converted into a slave by cutting off the three soldered on components.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back