Help with RJ11 socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a RJ11 socket in the sitting room behind the TV. It has never worked as far as I know but the phone line did go into the house and was t-ed there when we bought the house when there was still a NTLworld.
The socket is System45 made by AVE (Italian company) like a lot of our switches. See the pictures. It has 4 screw connections and 4 pins to the front. They are connected through. The screw connection have the writing BI - white, BL - blue, RS - red and MA - brown next to them.
I traced the wire back and it is T-ed off a working phone line. I want to wire it up so that it is working again.
Has anyone come across an AVE RJ11 socket and can give me advice on how to wire it to work with a standard phone?

I did contact the AVE website but have not heard back.
P7183290.JPG P7183288.JPG P7183287.JPG P7183286.JPG

Sponsored Links
I would if it had the same design and if I could fit it into the switches.

The other way is to find a pin out diagram for a UK slave socket, then translate that to the socket you have by 'belling' each finger to its screw terminal.

Sponsored Links
They are connected through.
You must have a multimeter then I guess? Good. I call the centre pins 3 and 4, even when it only has 4 or even just 2 pins, like this...
P7183290.JPG

Assuming your house wiring is standard colours, white-blue connects to 3 and blue-white connects to 4. Just 'bell' the pins like Harry says to map that to the Italian colour code.

Thanks for the reply.
I had belled it repeatedly and I found a pin assignment like yours on the internet, but as things did not work at all, I thought it would be my mistake somewhere.
Eventually I checked continuity on the wires and one wire was DEAD. This is so annoying. The phone socket is working now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back