Full bathroom tiling, boxing, walls..job, opinions please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello folks, apologies for the length this is likely to be..

Ive got a full house renovation on my hands and i want to learn the hard way so currently doing floor to celing bathroom tiling and boxing...for the first time ever. I have tiled and grouted the floor as shown. I have large marble look ceramic wall tiles, looks smaller in the pics but they are 250mm x 400mm or 9.5"x16".

There are several issues im trying to get my head around. The first image is a rough sketch of the position of the suite and numbers for each wall.

[/img][/url]

okay..wall 1 is totally plasterboard as well as half of wall5 above radiator. wall 2 under window has lost some large amounts of plaster and has exposed brick in places and pipes on show below. Either side and inside of the window is what seems to be ply. wall 3 above bath position is in fairly decent condition with spots of wallpaper and artex over worn old plaster. wall 4 is the only wall i havnt ripped the tongue and groove off and is where the electric shower is. Im ripping this out and putting a hot pipe under the bath to link to new combi boiler with a new mixer shower.

radiator is fixed to tongue and groove and top haf of this wall is plasterboard. other pics show rough position of suite, however i am planning moving WHB away from the corner for more room away from WC. Also a rough sketch of shape of boxing, prob higher in reality to come above damaged plaster. the boxing will hopefully be moveable to access pipes

The questions are:-

1) I plan on using 6mm exterior ply to cover most of walls attached to battens. Would you see any problems in future if i coverd over the damaged plaster with the ply, more than likely with 2x1 battens to be safe or directly into the brickwork without battens and hope the wall plus will be good enough to hold it in?

2) I guess i cant tile directly onto plasterboard so will i have to use PVA bond/admix on top of existing plasterboard before tiling or can i get away with undercoat paint? If neither, should i cover the plasterboard with ply first to give it a batter base to attach to?

3)Im thinking this order. Fix ply to appropriate places, prepare ply with paint or pva, Tile wall1, wall2(inc behind bath position), wall3(above bath) , fit bath, fit WC, fit WHB, create boxing, tile boxing, position boxing, tile shower wall, fit new shower and pipes. Id rather tile first before fixing bath, people normally dont do this but im wondering why? can you see any other problems?

4)The pic which shows the suite, youll notice the WC inlet pipe doesnt go stright into WC as old one must have been differnt shape, im planning on getting some flexible pipe and maybe not boxing this? good idea/bad idea?

Again apologies for the size of this, im sure ive missed things out as well, probably issues relating to boxing position but not to worry.

thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
i found a great material called Aqua Panel, its a plaster board mix designed to be tiled onto, good in wet areas and needs to be batened to the walls like you are planning on doing with the ply, Wicks stock it, it may be worth a look, there is also i believe a insulated version, bit thicker but will make a nice warm and sound proof bathroom.

do a quick google for Aqua Panel there are loads of info on it by the manufacture.

tragically i've got all the materials now and budget wont stretch to buy aquapanels, looks good though :)

Sponsored Links
if the ply is uncut could you not take it back! and isn`t it always the way, once you have bought it, you find something that is perfect.

You will need to batten every 200mm if you are going to use 6mm ply it is just too flexible and prone to movement due to moisture. I would not use it.

You would be better off hacking all the old plaster off the walls and dot & dabbing plasterboard to the walls that won't get wet and fixing Aquapanel or similar to the walls above the bath Then tank the wet areas before tiling.

If you do go for the ply Do NOT use PVA, do a search, its been covered loads of times on here, use the correct primer as suggested by your adhesive maker. Will also need to be flexible adhesive & grout.

Jason

thanks

Well i must have read 30 threads about tiling, priming and pva now. I did look a few on the 1st two pages but now gone back andfound some major ones. Its a minefield. I wouldnt care, in the 1st place i remember being told not to use pva incase water gets through. And if i was tiling on wood use flexible adhesive.

My adhesive says use 1:5 pva for porous surfaces and also says seal timber with solvent based primer. Is that a contradiction or is it asking me to do both?

Its likely i will be putting loads of battens on the wall and using play. Where the shower is at the moment, the tongue and groove has been painted and then tiled upon, seemingly with no problems with tiles. They were all stuck very well when i ripped them off.

So basically if i am going to risk the ply then i should make sure its primed correctly. and where i have plasterboard this should be primed well also. If i dont use ply then plasterboard over brick with dot n dab.

When you say tanking jasonb, how exactly do you mean in this case?

Mike

edit - looks like i will be taking back the B&Q adhesive and see if i can get some flexible somewhere.

a BAL pdf file says that the reverse side of the plywood should be primed and the surface to be tiled should be left..just to add to confusion

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back