Full floor dig out. Thoughts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I’ve lifted the uneven quarry tiles hoping to find a solid concrete base to lay an approx 40mm screed down to level the floor to my new kitchen slab. Kind of hopeful for a 100 year old floor. Well, as expected, crap concrete, some hard, some the consistency of hard earth. In addition it’s fairly damp as no DPM. What we’re they thinking if 100 years ago?!

Resides myself to the fact of a full 300mm dig out, mot, blinding, dpm, insulation, concrete pour.

Does this route sound sensible? How long for a 100mm slab to dry out for tiling? 100 days? Please tell me not.

Sponsored Links
The books say go 450mm, I don't know if this is reality or not though! Not what you want to hear I'm sure.

Having said that it's only 6 bricks down instead of 4, doesn't sound so bad that way!

My book says 28 days for the concrete but it is possible to reduce this by introducing additives. But best listen to someone who has actually done it!

I was thinking just over 300mm. 100mm of each element with a little for blinding. But point taken. I do hope you’re right with 1 month dry time. I know about the plastic sheet test but was hoping for a guide.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back