fuse size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Is it ok to create a small ring main from the old cooker switch I have in my kitchen supplied by 6mm cable and supported by a 45 amp fuse (this used to supply a double oven electric cooker only ) by using 2.5mm twin+earth to form a ring on the load side of the switch , the ring would contain 1 single socket (12 amp supply for new single oven) 1 double socket (supply for gas hob ignition + a radio ) and 1 spur from the back of the double socket to feed the cooker extractor hood . This is all that would ever be supplied by this circuit should I change the 45 amp fuse to 30 or 32 amp or go down to a 15 amp fuse

thanks vacy

Sponsored Links
It could be done, but it would be easier to turn it into a radial circuit (that will save you having to return a ring the the point of origin in the sub-main).

If you will never ever want to use an electric cooker in there, you could run the radial in 6mm cable, with a 32Amp RCD in the consumer unit. If you use 2.5mm cable in a radial you would have to use a 20Amp MCB which would be a bit restrictive. As it is in the kitchen you should contact your local authority and ask for their leaflet on building regulations relating to DIY work in the kitchen; or get the right kind of electrician in to do it for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back