Fused spur unit install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install a socket in the understairs cupboard - but it's going to have a decent amount of equipment coming off it. About two feet from where I want the socket is a current double socket, which has only three wires coming in to it - which, from the knowledge I've gathered, means it's either a spur or the end of a radial, right? My gut reaction from the layout is that it's the end of a radial.

To be sure of safety, am I allowed to hook up a fused (and probably switched) 13a spur unit from the current outlet into the cupboard and then an outlet onto that? This, from what I can gather, seems to cover all eventualities.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
As long as it's a fused spur it shouldn't be a problem but I'd do a little more investigation first.

What size T&E is the original socket?

I'd also isolate each of the MCB / CU fuses in turn and prove what is on the circuit both circuit, fuse and load wise.

What makes you think it's the end of a radial circuit rather than a non fused ring spur?

When you suggest quite a load, what do you intend to provide- let me guess via my crystal ball.

Mini comms area with TV amp, hub, modem, DVD, Video etc..... I'll laugh if I'm right.

Do tell all and do check which circuit the socket is part of etc..

3 wires at it would suggest it's part of the ring with a spur from it at first glance.

Sponsored Links
Comms/AV area - yes. It'll be: router, HTPC, phone, amp, Xbox, Wii, Sky HD, couple of external hard drives and probably more as I add it :)

Three wires indeed - phase, neutral and earth.

Apologies for delay - boss caught me surfing ;)

Majik

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back