Future project - back porch/WC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not sure if this is the right forum for this, but anyway I want to have a lean-to type structure built against my kitchen wall to provide an enclosed porch and "outside" WC off. (Well the WC could be described as indoors or outdoors depending on your point of view and whether the door into the kitchen was viewed as the main back door)

Anyway I envisage this structure to stick out from the existing house wall by 1 metre, and be a maximum of 3 metres long, along the side of the house. I think this will still leave about 5ft between the building and the boundary with our neighbour.

The soil pipe cannot be connected to an existing soil pipe because that would have to go across a door! So some new drains will need to be dug.

This entire project will be a contracted-out job, it's too big for my DIY efforts.

What I would like some advice and experienced viewpoints on is how should I go about starting this off? Do I get drawings done first for planning purposes (I have a dormer loft conversion so may have run out of permitted development rights)? Or approach a builder first and hope they offer a complete service including planning? If I am getting the drawings done first, to what extent is this type of project covered by building regs - does it have to be of "habitable room" quality, or might I get away with it being lower quality under rules applying to conservatories or porches? What type of professional is the best to make the very first approach to, to discuss the requirements?

Sponsored Links
i would advise you build the loo as habitable space, though you will need to build cavity walls. no one enjoys sitting on the loo in freezing temperatures. these walls may need to have a 100mm cavity, so after plastering, you may only be left with 650mm of usable space.

the whole job could be done on a buildings notice but i would always advise obtaining a full reg's drawing. this way any ambiguities or disagreements can always be referred back to the drawing.

building control will need to insect the drainage work in any case and any electrical work will need to be certificated (part p).

as i said, go the whole hog and maybe add value to your home as opposed to devaluing it. ;)

So, what's the process? Obviously an architect isn't going to want a boring job like this. Do larger builders tend to have their own drawings people or is there someone else who can draw up the plans?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back