Gainsborough Ambassador shower dripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Gainsborough Ambassador shower that runs from mains water, it drips from the thing you turn to start the shower and also drips from the head. I will be doing some other bathroom jobs and the tiles will be coming off. I don’t mind keeping the shower as it has been fine apart from this and I can jazz it up a little with a new pipe and head.

What can the issue be please? I’m sure I read somewhere (may have even been on here) that the cartridges can be replaced, a quick search and these seem expensive, would it be better to replace it with a similar shower that uses the same pipe work orientation (not skilled enough to change pipes)

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It’s likely to be the cartridge, and it is expensive, but ask yourself the following:

Is it more expensive for the cartridge to be replaced than altering pipes?
If you replace the cartridge, is anything else likely to go wrong?

Thanks CBW, what else could go wrong with the shower please?

How much can you find the carts for please?

I had a dripping shower valve once and turned out to be a bit of grit somewhere in the valve. My plumber sorted it.

Sponsored Links
Is it a bar shower, or round?

The round one looks like the high-quality Aqualisa, and even takes an Aqualisa cartridge, but is cheaper. a new replacement mixer does not cost much more.

IMO it is worth descaling while you have it apart. Sometimes this, and replacing the O rings, will cure drips, but changing the cartridge is less work.

Last edited:
Thanks CBW, what else could go wrong with the shower please?

How much can you find the carts for please?
Not much more could go wrong, other than a failed o-ring, but pretty sure they come with the cartridge. Cheapest I’ve found is approx £150.

Is it a bar shower, or round?

The round one looks like the high-quality Aqualisa, and even takes an Aqualisa cartridge, but is cheaper. a new replacement mixer does not cost much more.

IMO it is worth descaling while you have it apart. Sometimes this, and replacing the O rings, will cure drips, but changing the cartridge is less work.
Hi, it’s a round one.

seems to be pretty good

bearing in mind the lower price, consider just getting a new one. Not vastly dearer than a cartridge.

If you like tinkering, you can take the old one apart on the kitchen table; descale it, clean it, polish the moving parts, reassemble with new O rings and silicone grease; swap it back in ten years if necessary

edit
Burnerman beat me to it, but I mean the shell and knobs as well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back