Gainsborough Shower Just Stopped

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if anyone can help with the following.
I have a Gainsborough Energy 2000X Shower which was working fine.
Today after running for about 5mins the water just stopped abruptly.
The power neon and the Reduce Temp neon are now both lit.
None of the controls seems to make any difference.
and yes, there is a water supply to it !

What do you reckon - fixable or replace ?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
test it for mains power
then isolate the power to shower and test for resistance.

Sponsored Links
check all water valves ie stopcocks and balllfixes r opened fully. if there is any restrition in water supply going to the unit then this can cause the shower to shut off. then make sure there is acutually water going to the unit. sounds like power is geeting to the unit with the lights being lit. also check for dirt in the filters of the shower.

Many thanks for the advice.

I've tested for power to the Solenoid Valve and it is present. Resistance check however shows open circuit - So the valve's a duffer !.

Think I've found out why as well - It looks like the Water Control Valve has been leaking water onto the Solenoid Valve. Seems like the design is a bit upside down - perhaps it would have made more sense for them the put the electric bit above the water bit so in the event of a leak this wouldn't happen.

With that in mind and after checking out spare part prices on-line it looks like I may as well junk the whole unit and invest in a new one - At least I'll get a 2year warranty. :cry:

glad you've found the fault.
if your opting for a complete new shower try and go for something else than a Gainsborough.
maybe a mira or triton etc

Think I've found a Mira that will fit the bill.

Just a final question if I may.

I'm not sure of the rating of my Gainsborough. I think by design it has to be either 9.5 or 10.8 KW. I can't find any data labels etc. on the unit so I can't be sure.

With the above said, I assume I can confidently replace with a 9.5 KW as the Gainsborough couldn't be less than that ?

Many thanks

as you say the Gainsborough is not lower than a 9.5kw

one way to tell is the earth wire on the cable single strand or multi strand ?

What size cable do you have feeding the shower? If you are talking about a 9.5 or 10.8KW you should have 10.0mm2 T&E installed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back