Galaxy Aqua 3000 10.5kw Cuts Out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a galaxy aqua 3000 about 3 years old...the problem is that it cuts out intermittingly i.e. the main 60A fuse trips...
It may run for 5/10 mins...may do one shower but will cut out soon after when one of the family follow.
I have tested the solenoid which shows ~4k ohms.
Power in~ 230v, and continuity across thermal component.
Checked all wiring from shower to pull chord to mains, all seems ok.

Don't know what else to check, any advice would be greatly appreciated

:confused:

Sponsored Links
I'd bet what's left of my pension that the "main 60A fuse" is an RCD, and it's tripping because of an earth fault, which you won't be able to detect or diagnose with your equipment.

The fault may lie in the wiring, or in the shower unit. It might be worth checking on the Shower Doctor forum http://www.showerdoc.co.uk/forum/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=14 to see if that model is prone to any problems which create earth faults.

You'll need an electrician to check out the wiring.

Thanks for your response...the breaker is the old type MCB by Dorman Smith.

Is there a way I can test the wiring with a multimeter?

Sponsored Links
Loose in what?

Sitting on, in, or under what?

Checked all wiring from shower to pull chord to mains,
When you say "checked" - have you physically inspected the entire length?

I used the previous wire to pull through.
So you installed the cable?

What steps did you take to determine that it would be OK on a 60A breaker?

If you "pulled it through" does that mean that you never actually saw it getting passed through the entire route?

What were your R1+R2 and IR readings for it?

I'm going to get a telling off here...

Cable runs from shower unit up cavity wall, along ceiling rack to pull chord neon switch then drops through cavity wall to beneath floorboards, runs in void under floorboards to consumer unit.

Visual check and tightness at shower unit, neon switch and consumer unit.

The highest breaker that was available ie 40A was for the cooker (now have gas) whereas the installation manual suggested 45A minimum. Asked an electrician for advise and said get the 60A.

There were no restrictions when pulling cable through apart for the sheer maneouverabilty of 10mm cable.

Didn't take any readings...now this is where the telling off is going to start :oops:

Yes, because you put the circuit into use without knowing if it was OK.

The way that you installed the cable could have damaged it.

For the route you describe a 60A breaker is too large. (Sure it's not 63A, BTW??)

If the breaker is tripping in 5-10 minutes, something is causing a current of well over 100A to be drawn.

You need to get an electrician, and until then start taking baths.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back