Galvanised conduit in domestic application

The norm in that sort of situation would be to use a through box to form the containment and mount the light fitting directly onto the box.

Sponsored Links
it looks as though the % free space in the conduit is not enough.
It appears to calculated out to be OK for a 20 A radial where there arel two bunched cables in one conduit in an insulated wall.

It does take a bit of care to avoid twists and kinks but then the same applies to pulling cables through holes in joist,

What am I missing?

I think maybe its more to do with the cables passing over the hot ballasts and hot lamps, which was more common than people may realise, before low energy and H/f fittings became popular, many fittings now show the wire route to take within the fitting

Sponsored Links
Given that aesthetics is the main consideration, consider not using standard couplers and bushes to connect to the boxes. The ones I've seen were referred to as "hospital bushes", I think flanged coupler may be another name.

I think they look ugly compared to a coupler and bush.

The advantage of them was that with the increased surface area, the lead washer underneath to form a seal to keep moisture out of the joint and the serrated washer the other side to ensure it didn't slacken off, that the conduit could be relied on was the cpc.

These days we just pull a CPC in, and hope the conduit has a sound joint at least one end so that it remains earthed itself

Im with simonH2 i think they look good especially with old bulkheads :)
Never heard them called hospital ones though.

These days we just pull a CPC in, and hope the conduit has a sound joint at least one end so that it remains earthed itself
If it's forming the protective measure of your wiring system, then you need to be sure it's got a good earth. Hoping isn't going to save anyone if the basic insulation on your singles fails.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back