Galvanised trunking suitable for outdoor use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
guy's

would you use Gal trunking outside. I have a job where the building is grey and feel that this may blend in easier than PVC

Is it suitable, if not what would you use?

Cheers

Richard

Sponsored Links
Not really.

Galv conduit is often used outdoors, and is specced on many large sites such as supermarkets and shopping malls. When trunking is used out doors it is always in a sheltered location.

What are you wiring exactly?

It'll still rust, just not so readily.

Stainless steel?

Can you get PVC trunking in RAL colours?

It may be usable but I would check with the manufacturers first. You would probably need to provide drainage and possibly ventilation.

As BAS says, it may still rust - that can also apply to stainless - it depends on the type specified. Most electrical stainless kit is designed for catering and medical uses - and may not be very corrosion resistant when used outside. You would usually need 316(or A4) stainless - as used in marine applications.

Plastic used on the outside of a building might also be problematic because of expansion and contraction issues.

I don't know the details of your installation, but generally cables (SWA etc.) and conduit would usually be the first choice for most outside work.

Sponsored Links
It's just for running some air con piping down a wall. The customer wants the pipes covered and white plastic would look crap...

I guess I could get a tin basher to mae something up in ally?

Cheers

Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back