Gap between bay and sash window frame, paint first or seal first?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am redecorating my wooden sash windows. They need repainting obs and the gap needs filling. I'm thinking of using sika mortar fix or a sand/cement mix.

20221113_123234.jpg

What's best, paint the windows first and then seal or the other way around?

Sponsored Links
Don't know the sika. I'd use troupret masonry powder filler.
Are they old sash windows?

Coverstain will work well to prime then maybe bedec barn paint to top off.

Could use bullseye123 to prime as the waterbased option. Depends if you want to stain block and fill a bit. Coverstain will de nib smooth with 320 grade sanding.
So many options tbh.

I can get the Troupret masonry powder filler locally so that is easy.
These hardwood sash windows are 3 years old.
No need to stain-block. I will use a water-based primer, an undercoat, and Weathershield satin final coat unless you think it is not advisable.

Whats a better way, fill gap first and then paint, or the other way round?

Last edited:
I use clear solvent primer preserver on wood then fill.
You have to wait a week or more before painting over (read data sheet online for guide) but you can carry on and fill.
The primer preserver will get right in the wood protecting that wood.
Some would prime first using waterbased primer but I prefer to use the solvent primer preserver. Lash it in as easy to use. Won't matter on masonry.
Normal to prime wood before fitting to seal

Re paint.
Whatever you think. Lots out there.

Sponsored Links
I use clear solvent primer preserver on wood then fill.
You have to wait a week or more before painting over (read data sheet online for guide) but you can carry on and fill.
The primer preserver will get right in the wood protecting that wood.
Some would prime first using waterbased primer but I prefer to use the solvent primer preserver. Lash it in as easy to use. Won't matter on masonry.
Normal to prime wood before fitting to seal

Re paint.
Whatever you think. Lots out there.
Thanks. Sorry if my question was confusing. I meant to ask about filling the gap between the bay and the window frame first and then paint the the windows, or the other way round? Does it matter?

The wooden window/sashes don't need filling.the wood is as good as new although the preserver will prolong its life I'm sure.

I'd prime with undercoat or use the primer preserver before filling against the wood. To protect.. Is that what you wanted to know

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back