Gap between beading gasket and glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've fitted a few windows myself and not had any issues but notice on the one I'm doing now that there is a gap between the black gasket and the glass. Its tight in the corners, but as you go along, the gap gets bigger to about 2mm in the middle. This is a bigger window than the others, so the lengths of beading are longer, but I'm sure there should be no gaps or what's the point of the gasket? I can push the beading and see the gap close then open when I release.

It is the same on all the longer lengths of beading, but not the shorter top and bottom beading of the opener.

The affected.lengths are 30" to 50". I wondered if the beading was too long and bowing out, but refitting shorter beading made no difference.

There's no gap on the outside, so it's just the beading that is affected. Should I be worried?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the bead isn't located in its groove in the middle, it's something I found a lot with duraflex profile, you would start at each end and work towards the centre but the bead would ride out of its groove, try locating one end and just follow it along with a mallet to the other end, a picture of the end section of the bead will help me

I've fitted a few windows myself and not had any issues but notice on the one I'm doing now that there is a gap between the black gasket and the glass. Its tight in the corners, but as you go along, the gap gets bigger to about 2mm in the middle. This is a bigger window than the others, so the lengths of beading are longer, but I'm sure there should be no gaps or what's the point of the gasket? I can push the beading and see the gap close then open when I release.

It is the same on all the longer lengths of beading, but not the shorter top and bottom beading of the opener.

The affected.lengths are 30" to 50". I wondered if the beading was too long and bowing out, but refitting shorter beading made no difference.

There's no gap on the outside, so it's just the beading that is affected. Should I be worried?
Have you ensured it’s all snapped into place , sometimes takes a nylon hammer to secure

Thanks for the replies.
Crank:
I've taken the beading off and back on again, but still the same. I started to think the beading was too long, but its not.
Foxhole:
The beading has been hit home with a mallet, but there just seems to be too much movement in and out within the beading itself, its moving in the groove.

I wondered if the frame was warped at all, but it's the same on the opener too, so not that as there is no stress there.

I have contacted the supplier with a video, so we'll see. ( can I upload a video here , I couldn't earlier?)

Sponsored Links
Ok do you know the name of the window profile, the make in other words? Looking at that bead I'd say it's kommerling, yes no?

I was trying to match existing Synseal frames, but these are Elite70 I think.

Spectus is elite 70, synseal do a legend 70, either way both are single leg beads so no reason for them not to locate

Synseal isn't available anymore so I chose Spectus as it looked the same, but never had any issues with beading before. I did note that this beading was easier to clip in, probably because it is a sloppy fit. It's not right though is it?

The supplier says they "haven't seen anything like it before", but will get back to me. I have now noticed that the frame is not straight where the mullion is welded to the bottom frame. It's like the mullion was too long and it all looks squeezed.
Maybe this frame is a dud. Even the glass is scratched....on the inside!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back