Gap between floor and hearth too big

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our hearth is sat on a plinth which was supposed to be only 1mm taller than the height of the wood floor which has just been laid, to allow the floor to have an expansion gap beneath the lip of the hearth sat above it. As the photo shows, clearly something went wrong somewhere as the gap between the floor and lip of the hearth is much bigger than 1mm. I'm seeking your assistance, do you have any ideas, preferably based on experience, of how we could fill this gap without A. damaging the floor and B.it looking like a botch? Thanks.
IMG-7046.jpg

Sponsored Links
First thought would be to carefully mask the floor and then apply some coloured silicone to fill the gap. Clean up as you go. 1mm is pretty small and unless guests lie on the floor most people won't even be aware of the gap as it is.

Imho only reason to fill it is that it might collect a bit of dust

First thought would be to carefully mask the floor and then apply some coloured silicone to fill the gap. Clean up as you go. 1mm is pretty small and unless guests lie on the floor most people won't even be aware of the gap as it is.

Imho only reason to fill it is that it might collect a bit of dust

Thanks for responding Tigercubrider. The gap was supposed to be 1mm, but is nearer to 5-10mm.

I would still use the same technique
My house has parquet from original and had a brick fireplace originally, then was carpeted.
The fire place/hearth was replaced twice before the carpet was removed to expose the parquet again
There is a small gap where the current slab has been bedded but it isn't really visible/noticeable

I was going to add oak scotia around the slab but haven't bothered and nobody has ever commented on a gap

Sponsored Links
I would still use the same technique
My house has parquet from original and had a brick fireplace originally, then was carpeted.
The fire place/hearth was replaced twice before the carpet was removed to expose the parquet again
There is a small gap where the current slab has been bedded but it isn't really visible/noticeable

I was going to add oak scotia around the slab but haven't bothered and nobody has ever commented on a gap

That's good to know Tigercubrider, we'll have a think about the silicone option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back